Nightly builds

https://test.coreelec.org/Odroid_N2/
Current build is from 9th of May.

Thanks a lot. For the software and the support. All for free.

How will I be able then to get new nightlies if they are not public any more, since I want to contribute to CE development, as much as I can?

So you are willing to have nightlies, but for what reason if not to be on the bleeding edge?

Present situation with CE on N2 is that there are not any final releases. All images are still experimental, stable and knightlies.
For me it’s completely normal to force updates for nightlies images, it’s in fact crucial, at this state of development.
You just please install any stable release which won’t bother you with annoying prompts, and leave knightlies to as that are not so sensitive to annoying prompts…

1 Like

I created a PR of the en_gb strings.po that adds a sentence each to two lines to the “infotext” regarding custom paths and automatic updates.

https://github.com/CoreELEC/service.coreelec.settings/pull/3

1 Like

Kodi is not limited to only CoreELEC. Ubuntu and Android run it as well.

No it’s not, you can choose between a stable CE release, Android Pie or Ubuntu. They all run Kodi, so the choice is yours…

Everyone moaning about nightly updates could always go over to libreELEC, oh wait. Pretty sure they don’t have a build that works yet.

Jesus, the devs are working day and night to get the n2 build to the state it’s in now, which in my opinion is almost perfect.

@Ray and the other devs, keep doing what your doing.

Matt

3 Likes

People seem to be forgetting that this box has barely been out but for a few months. CoreELEC was available at pretty much day one. CoreELEC in and of itself is bleeding edge when it comes to the N2, even before the nightly builds. Expecting anything to do with the N2 to be a golden master is ridiculous.

CoreELEC put out remarkably stable development builds while other groups have barely begun to mull the N2 (let alone any S922X hardware). Android and Ubuntu exist for the platform only because HK wasn’t about to ship a piece of hardware with no working operating system. Other than Shanti’s EmuELEC (a child of CoreELEC), Batocera is the only other group of devs I can think of that have been as eager or quick to take on the N2.

Nah. This is much better. I just blocked autoupdates through router firewall. I waited for a few months. But, constant update notifications became too annoying. So, I had to learn this new thing.

With this attitude I really cannot understand why you simply don’t run 9.0.2, why the fuck did you install nightlies in the first place.

Shoog

3 Likes

Because I am a fool, milord.

1 Like

OK this discussion ends now. I think we heard everyone’s opinion.

Here is my idea about it: Nightlies will be for contributors only. So that we make clear what Nightlies are now. It is not a way to run the newest stable bugfree version. It will come with the caveat to accept autoupdates and report issues. Whoever does not accept will not be invited to the nightlies club.

I can’t believe what I am reading, the dev’s are working hard to help everyone fixing there issues you guys should appreciate the updates.

1 Like

I work most of the day debugging stuff and doing testbuilds. I’m testing firmly everything on my own system then I hurry to commit it before midnight because I’m so stupid/naive thinking users will be so happy when they get the update tomorrow and it will fix the issue I’ve been working whole day on.

I’m really discouraged about this personally!

8 Likes

Put me down as a contributor then, I for one appreciate everything the devs are doing.

Don’t like it, use summit else.

Matt

1 Like

You are joking, aren’t you?
Why should you give a damn thought about TWO fucks that complain about forcing updates on knightly builds? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think if everyone here would understand/accept that by using nightlies you are a contributor then we would not need a ‘invite only’ Nightly club.

I want to do a stable release soon. So hopefully some of the people having issues with the auto updates can hop on there.

Nah don’t insult please. I get their point even if I don’t agree with them we respect everyone here.

@trogggy the blame with the nightlies situation lies with me as it was my idea to force the updates in them to reduce the support burden on our small team.

Users already convinced us not to do forced updates on Stable builds and we listened.

The situation with nightlies will not change as it is your prerogative to install them, it’s not forced on you, so don’t be ridiculous.

Nobody put a gun to your head and said you must install CoreELEC.

You can install Ubuntu and then Kodi if your not happy as an alternative.

I do heed your point that it should be made more clear though and we will make changes to the download page to warn users installing nightlies that they are self-updating.

3 Likes