Nightly builds

It works! Updated by tar file, then stuck at book screen. Placed dtb file on MicroSD by PC and it started!

Thanks for testing. It really looks like your box has a RevA S922X which is not capable of running at 2.2GHz. Last night we fixed a bug in the kernel which limited all chips on 4.9 to 1.8GHz, regardless of revision. This is why it worked for everyone until today.
Weā€™ll have to figure out what to do about this issue.

Thanks for your description of the bug. I decided to make a try to change this box to switch for a RevB.

Canā€™t you simply place two DTBs, one for RevA and the other for RevB?

Yes, we can do that, but how would a user know which revision the chip is when thereā€™s no external indication.
Weā€™ll have to give it some thought. Maybe weā€™ll fix it in software.

I understand that is hard for a simple user (Iā€™m a programmer, too) to read and follow instructions. Serial does not help? Is it not related to the revision?

This refers only for revision B, I presumeā€¦

Since we are using the HK kernel, the frequency limits were hard-coded in the kernel.
They had A53 cores clocked at 1.9GHz and A73 cores clocked at 1.8GHz.
All devices running the 4.9 kernel were subject to this.
Now max frequency is defined in the DTB. Since we assumed that all GT-King devices are rev B based, we had the frequency set to 2.2Ghz for the A73 cores. This doesnā€™t play well with the rev A chips, which arenā€™t capable of this. The box simply freezes, similar to when you overclock a PC processor too high.

OK, my N2 on 9.0.3 runs ever since on:
max_freq_a73='2004' max_freq_a53='1992'
ā€œoverclockā€ without any errors everā€¦

Each CPU is different, some are better quality than others, and can take an overclock to a certain speed, while others canā€™t.
Also the GTK DTB is clocking the A73 cores to 2.2GHz, so itā€™s a lot higher than 2.0GHz. Voltages are also different.

So what is max_freq for the odroid N2?
a73=2004 and a53=1992?

Out of interest I wanted to try what is the max for S922X(A) but could not find next exact frequency step-up.

Yes, as I know, could not find next higher frequencies to try.

In principle, you can know by numbering.
B922 = S922x RevB
S922 and 95X2 = S922x RevA

At least, they say in tvbox forums.

Edit: the information has been denied, by the messages below.

I have a S922X and itā€™s a rev B chip. I highly doubt it really matters what you see on that label.

As you can see in discussion above itā€™s not true
We have 922X serial and they are rev.B
As minimum 1 user with B922 have rev.A

Ok, sorry for the mistake. Thank you both for the information.

How to check for revision? CPU-Z/AIDA in android? Mine says max cpu speed is 1.8ghz.

Serial that starts with 290a is Rev A, 290b is Rev B.

Thank you. Tomorrow Iā€™ll get a new box replaced by Amazon. Iā€™ll check this.