Odroid C2 - DVD menu blank, cursor is there

Sure ?
The dev builds are not usable, only for testing

2 Likes

The differences in behaviour may be down to the hardware. You are running the Odroid C2 which has a S905 and is a single board machine with a specific build. I have a generic Venz V10 Pro which has a S905X. So I’m on the 3.x kernel which is the same as the one used in the old kszaq LE builds. I’ve tried @vpeter’s suggestion to turn off HW decoding for SD mpeg2 and it certainly seems to resolve the dvd menu issue when the video is selected from the library (as opposed to the file path). However, it introduces video/audio sound sync issues on my music videos. It also doesn’t work 100% of the time as a couple of my music videos will actually cause Kodi to crash when I have mpeg decoding in SW.
The only build that’s working 100% for me is @kszaq’s LE build for generic S905x from 2018. Unfortunately, it’s Kodi Krypton (17) rather than Leia, so we’re not comparing like with like.
The problem lies in Kodi rather than in anything the CE or LE team are building, so you’re still continuing to have DVD menu issues with even the latest LE or CE nightlies. It’s down to the way Kodi is handling (or not handling) the DVD navigation. I presume why turning off the HW decoding for mpeg2 is working is that it’s forcing Kodi down a specific path or method with ffmpeg which means the dvdimage rule is triggered. I’ll test some more with the LE build on Kodi Krypton to see if I can make some comparisons with how Kodi Leia is doing things.

@Tim_Taylor Apart from some (most) addons not ready for Kodi 19 yet, both Kodi and Linux on mainline kernel are running pretty good on my C2. Some graphic glitches on some H264 files, but otherwise perfectly fine even I’d say. Not everyone might have the same experience, but I really applaud the LE team for even getting it this far, and the LIMA (and Panfrost for that matter) team for pulling those MALI drivers off. I’m certainly with the LE team in that this is the only way to go. Keeping kernel 3.14 running with increasing number of backports of all kinds of patches is not sustainable.

@Joe_90 Yeah, C2 has it’s own build, but as far as I know the only real difference is the bootloader (U-Boot if I remember correctly) which differs from regular boards.

Anyway running MPEG2 is perfectly fine for me for now, more than enough horsepower for that, and at least the kids and gf know what’s going on…

Glad to hear that LE with the mainline kernel runs pretty good for your use case. Many others would not find the situation the same, since LE with mainline is currently missing, not just doesn’t work well, but outright missing stuff that a lot of users expect to be there.

As for the question of keeping the 3.14 kernel. There is no sides to be on with that one. We would rather not be using it either. Like what even makes you think a single one of the CE developers wants to keep that piece of shit? Is it the fact that we didn’t toss everything including our users to make way for something that is years a way, and may never be an option for some devices?

The only reason we still do builds with the 3.14 kernel for some devices and will continue to do builds, is that we want to support users who want all the bells and whistles working today, and users that don’t want to toss a device that could be working if it wasn’t for politics.

6 Likes

It´s OK
In my opinion there is a very long way until there will be a stable mainline release running amlogic boxes.

If you only realized the cludges they are using to get a half way functional LE on mainline you wouldn’t be half as impressed.

Shoog

I can confirm the DVD menu issue on a LePotato board. Actually, it is not limited to DVDs but some BD menus as well.
This issue is totally identical to the issue I had with a Raspberry Pi since a certain commit in a pre-alpha version of Kodi 18.
On a Raspberry Pi this issue was fixed. Here’s my bug report on Kodi github (read the comments). Here’s an actual fix in MMAL decoder. Hopefully this fix could be implemented in AML decoder.

1 Like

Can we please stay on topic? It became a discussion about kernels while it’s about the menu’s not working.

Ironic.

Shoog