ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Edition!

2GB N2 +uk psu + case + 8GB microsd + coreelec sticker is £84.61 delivered
2GB N2 +uk psu + case is £80.70 delivered
2GB N2 +16GBemmc + uk psu + case is £100.67 delivered

Unless you actually want an 8GB micro sd this isn’t the best option.

current coreelec box is always on. And I fetch everything through embyCon… Might just go with the bundle package.

I’ve calculated the options from Odroid UK, Hardkernel and Ameridroid for the 2Gb bundle delivered to the UK. Users from other countries may well find better deals and lower import charges.

Odroid UK - £84.81 inc First class signed delivery charge, all taxes included.

Hardkernel - £53.22 + £18.71 shipping + 20% VAT Guaranteed = £86.31 + £10 Courier handling fee = £96.31

Ameridroid

Cheapest option (with CNXSUPPORTER5 discount code) - £76.54 + £1 for ac converter (Poundland) - £77.54 (Globegistics eCom Packet 7-14 days delivery, speed not guaranteed, not insured)

Alternative option (with CNXSUPPORTER5 discount code) - £87.47 + £1 for ac converter (Poundland) - £88.47 (USPS First-Class Package International (Using First Class Mail International, deliveries generally take between 7–21 days to arrive, although the USPS does not guarantee delivery dates or times. Mail may travel to its destination by ground, air or a combination of both)

The 2 caveats to Ameridroid is that you may find that surface shipping could avoid customs charges and that courier handling charges are not certain as the courier that delivers to your actual door could be varied. Royal Mail will add an £8 handling charge if subject to VAT charges.

Hardkernel supply 12v/2a AC, Odroid UK supply 12v/1,5a AC. Correction, Odroid UK also supplying 12v/2a AC with this particular deal

UK plug AC not an available option from Ameridroid.

So the cheapest is Ameridroid by £7.27 if import and handling charges are avoided.

1 Like

Great post @Compent but it is worth noting that your post is representative for UK users only, which represents only a small portion of the total CE user database.

The best option for different users will vary from region to region, with taxes varying and not all users being eligible for receiving customs charges.

It is advisable for anybody considering buying this package to check out the different options that are available.

Yes, I shall amend to show that it is from a UK user perspective.

1 Like

Great deal but 4gb model (shipping to Turkey included) is $118.95 + custom fees
I wish this deal came up earlier because my friend came to Turkey this month.
He could have bought this for me.

Using the N2 with CoreELEC doesn’t really need 4GB of RAM so you can save a little with getting the 2GB version…

1 Like

Do you think there are some things that would benefit from 4gb? Maybe android or some retro gaming?

I am trying to do this as cheap as I can, but at the same time would hate to regret it down the road only getting 2gb.

Android could use it if you use more apps in the same time…

1 Like

Thanks, figure $10 why not. Now the waiting game.

This looks very temtping but I have two questions:
(1) Remote control. I can see that an IR remote is available for $4. Does the N2 have an inbuilt IR receiver, or is that extra? Or is bluetooth an option?
(2) I am also thinking of buying one for my elderly relatives who live 2 hours away. Once I set it up, is it possible to remotely login in to it for any issues? I am thinking of some app like Teamviewer.

1 Like
  1. There is infra receiver built-in but you have to use an external bluetooth if you need it.
  2. You can remotely login using ssh, or vnc (there is a vnc server addon)
1 Like

I’m also tempted with the N2. I’d probably go with eMMC though. £100 or so with everything. It’ll be a pretty good step up from an S912 box

Many thanks, exactly the info I needed.

Looks like ameridroid will be the cheaper option for me. Can someone tell me the best eMMC module to get? I was thinking 16GB or 32GB, but they all say they have 150MB/s read and 125MB/s write speed, even the 8GB version. That can’t be right, can it? And what’s the deal with the red dot and green dot on the eMMC modules? What’s the difference?

Also, what’s the recommended Bluetooth dongle to use? I have a couple of CSR 4.0 Bluetooth dongles and I’m wondering if these would work.

The coloured dots on the emmc modules correspond to which os is pre installed on the module. So doesn’t really matter which one if you are planning on installing a different os on them.

The USB 3.0 eMMC Module Writer is a handy tool to get as well since it allows you to easily change the os on the emmc or backup the complete contents of the emmc from your computer. It’s not essential, but well worth having one.

As to which size of emmc to get, I’ve been quite happy with using the 16gb and 32gb modules. The price difference between the 16gb and the 8gb is so small that it’s probably not worth considering the 8gb emmc. Which is as you guessed a bit slower in real world use.

The official hardkernel Bluetooth module is a csr 4.0, so you should have good luck with any other csr 4.0 usb module.

Thanks for the info! I placed the order on ameridroid earlier, but I noticed no taxes included in the final price. Does anyone know if I’ll get hit by big import duties when it gets here? I live in Canada and the import duties is the reason I try to avoid buying anything from the USA. Has anyone from Canada ordered from ameridroid and can give me some idea of how much I will get charged? Thanks in advance.

According to this duty calculator it’s probably around 5%

Just got mine, and holy smokes it’s fast, even with the included SD card. Got a much faster Samsung EVO+ card on the way. Makes my Pi 3B seem like a sluggish fossil in comparison. Love the IR on/off and that glorious Atmos passthrough. Great product, and coreelec is fantastic on it.

4 Likes