ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Edition!

So this unit is not supported here? That’s interesting!

"The only Linux Kodi Leia device that outputs correct 4K HDR Infoframe data
4:2:2 Chroma output supported."

Sounds good but you’re saying other devices are as good or maybe even better? Which devices, I want to buy one.

I’ll talk to the seller on Monday and see what the situation is regarding dual boot etc.

The eMMc modules have pre installed Android or Linux.
CoreELEC edition which was sold in germany was N2, case, power supply an 8Gb SD card with pre installed CE
You are able to run Android or Linux from eMMc.
Dual boot is possible using petitboot - but this is a little bit tricky

2Gb will be enough, but 4Gb is not bad for future.
I bought a second N2 with 4Gb running Linux, not CE, using as a server.

2 Likes

I didn’t say unsupported. Just no extra treatment. At the time it was released it was the only device

No matter if you have N2 or GT King you get the same support here. I am saying that because I think you think you will buy super mega premium support.

So do you think, if I ask then nicely on Monday, they’ll have a disc image they can clone for me with Linux and CoreElec? Does seem like a good sell to offer dual boot with the proviso that the buyer can’t change the setup. If they can’t do this I may just go for the 2GB or not bother and buy another crappy box!!! Hey my T95MAX+ runs pretty well but the Wifi is terrible.

I just thought I’d ‘bite-the-bullet’ and get a premium unit and get the full experience. For the record which Wifi dongle are you using with your N2’s?

Duly noted and thanks for the clarity.

No I didn’t expect anything other than just support and it obviously depends what the developers have on their plate at the time. Just nice to know that if a bug does appear it will, eventually, be addressed.

None.
I use ethernet cable.

1 Like

Just thought:
Maybe I should ask if they have an Android with CE dual boot image? Is that possible? We use these Android boxes, well some of us, with dual boot so is there any difference? Just seems they might be missing a trick business wise.

Why ?
I only know dual boot using SD & eMMC by petitboot.
Don´t know how to setup dual boot only on eMMc or SD
You have to ask hardkernel

1 Like

Just thought that if I call the seller on Monday asking if dual boot is possible why not ask if dual boot with Android and CE is possible on their units?

Why? Well one of the reason people, not me, go for crappy boxes is the Android stuff. Of course, and obviously, dual boot with an Android TV box is possible but perhaps it’s different, bootloaders and technical reason, with an SBC. All too technical for me but the more options means, potentially, more sales for them. Hmm possibly more headaches as well hence why they keep it simple? BUT! A dual boot Linux Desktop and CE, on a SBC, would be killer! I might be wrong but Linux is way superior than Android right?

You need two storage devices. SD and emmc for instance.

I’m confused! I have CE and Android on my box via the ‘ceemmc tool’ so that gives me the option of booting into Android or CE from the internal emmc, only one drive!

Because it hacks the Android partitions

So this isn’t recommended, or perhaps even possible, with a Linux install?

It would not be impossible to do it from one device Ubuntu and CE but you say you are bot techie and you don’t want to hassle. And they won’t definitely do it for you.

Well I’ll ask and they might be able to accommodate my needs but I think they’ll suggest an increase in emmc size to 32GB as opposed to the current 16GB on my order. That’s 16GB for each or maybe 24GB for Linux and 8GB for CE which would be fine although more money but a full Linux desktop and CE would be excellent and value for money.

Not techie but couldn’t Linux boot from the main partition and CE be launched/booted from within Linux. In effect Linux be would be directed to reboot from a second partition? The neatest solution would simply be a boot option for Desktop or CE mapped to the relevant partition.

Not techie, as we know and can probably see, but surely this should be simple?

1 Like

As far as the 2Gb vs 4Gb debate is concerned, for video, 2Gb is plenty.

For other uses such as the best of gaming and even Linux, the extra money would be worth the extra for the 4Gb.

For information about the compexities of multi-boot using petitboot and the various distros available for the N2, go and have a look here.

There is a wealth of information, although you may well also find it more complex than you would wish.

1 Like

So the only way to run dual boot on an N2 is to run them from separate drives, say CE on emmc and Linux on an SSD connected via a USB3 port? I could do that as I have a 24OGB drive I could utilize.

The thing is I probably won’t use a Desktop much so dedicating a 240GB SSD seems over kill. How about a USB3 thumb drive? The only issue there is certain thumb drives have a habit of not powering down when CE (or similar) is in suspend. So will CE power off USB in suspend correctly?

Thanks, although I’m slowly going off the idea of dual boot, CE/Linux, as it looks as if it’s going to be a headache. I’ll still ask the seller on Monday if they can do it, they might get me to buy a bigger emmc which is more money for them! Or they might get me to downgrade my order to 2GB either way is fine as I can’t throw away £20 on something I don’t need. Hey and if the N2 is as good as everybody says I’ll have £20 to put towards a second one!!!

Just seeking the bliss of the best available and bear in mind I’m only running at 1080p so it shouldn’t be hard!

I seek a world beyond this where stutter and judder are distant memories of a past long forgotten. A world where Sade is heard to sing ‘smooth operator’ with every button press and every viewing experience. A world where Elvis is heard to exclaim ‘only fools rush in’, when cheap Android boxes are on offer, and Bomb the Bass is played on the hour every hour with a chorus of CE users shouting ‘Beat This’!

In short we seek heaven on earth in the form of the ‘ultimate’ TV Box experience that frees us from the bondage of the never ending toothpick loop that we so painfully have all endured year after year.

Please oh God of Elec,
Hear our prayer!
Amen

:upside_down_face:

Then go for the current undisputed king, the one that requires the least amount of effort, has the greatest support and user community, the Nvidia Shield.

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s toooooo expensive!