ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Edition!

N2+ uses different SoC Revision. We need a different dtb and also a commit for the optional fan.
All is already added. Same img will work for N2 or N2+ because of multidtb Support. There are a few updates coming to multidtb support though.

1 Like

It´s no upgrade, I want to use it as a Linux server and sending my older raspberrys to retirement

1 Like

I noticed some rumours (not confirmed) about bad design HDMI (according some users which watch schematics), which - just assumption- could caused problems on some configurations (performance?). I saw some cases with CE here in forum, that HDMI stopped working after a while. HK states its just minimal percent of sold pieces (I think those cases was also for HK linux, on different forum?), but still.

For me, I am not sure if those was just bad HW batch, or combination of weak design + specific software setting and usage, but I would be curious if this would be solved anyway. That would represent additional value for the “next revision” of SBC in my eyes…

Every indication was that this was a problem with the AMLogic design rather than the N2 itself. I also believe the same problem effected early examples of the S905x3 chips as I had a spontaneous HDMI fail on my X96Air which used some early chips.

Shoog

Guys, anybody knows where can I buy an N2 2GB (possibly a Coreelec edition) in EU? Don’t seam to find it anywhere. Best would be with a 16GB eMMC (Coreelec/Linux).

If some of you are thinking of selling one, do let me know! Thanks!

You just missed one being sold on ebay (UK) second hand which is a rarity. You could call Odroid UK and see when stock is arriving: ODROID-N2+ 2GB CoreELEC Edition

Seems to be taking a very long time to get the stock in but the the reasons are obviously extreme! Might be worth pre-ordering if they assure you that stock is coming. I did have one on order weeks ago but cancelled as I just didn’t want to wait. Still using old boxes but they’re fine.

Here you go:

Odroid-N2 CoereELEC Edition is unavailable from Pollin
You can Order the N2, power adapter, case as single items

The N2 CoreELEC Edition was a limited offer. If I recall correctly only 1000 sets available. It will not come back in stock and there is no plan for a N2+ CoreELEC Edition (the one sold from odroid.co.uk is their own thing).

Thank you guys (and girls)!
I will order the 2GB version from Pollin. With the black case and a 16GB Linux eMMC.
Can you link me a proper PSU at Pollin? I can’t find one that is fine for N2. (I will not use any usb at all, just Coreelec, gigabit lan). Remote will be CEC TV remote.

(I will just miss the Coreelec sticker :))

You just need a 12V/2A psu. Probably one from an old external HDD will do. 5,5/2,1 mm.

Edit I also found this store:
https://www.vesalia.de/d_odroidn2.htm

I ordered there and also on pollin.de in the past.

This PSU is the right one for the N2:

1 Like

Thanks for helping me! I couldn’t order from Pollin, they don’t ship Hardkernel to Hungary. Strange.
But I found everything in a Polish webshop, Kamami. Shouls arrive next week.

Anybody tested 19.x-Matrix versions on their N2? Is this a stable release? Are we supposed to update to it manually once and then subsequent updates will come as before?

Edit: I read in the official topic that we need to update once manually. But my main question remains, is it stable or it is in a sort of a open beta right now?

Matrix on the N2 is probably more stable than 9.2.7, within the limitations of support imposed by the move to Python 3 (ie many addons simply do not work).
My N2 has been running it without issue for over a month now, however a clean install and complete reset is also advisable since many Leia configurations will upset Matrix and lead to unexpected bugs.

Shoog

1 Like

I am using two N2 as my daily driver. No issues for me.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. There is a thread on the Kodi forums, people said that Matrix 19.1 RC1 is better than 19.0. I don’t use that many addons (just Plex, Netflix and HBO Go). I am glad there are active users here too. Will back up SD card and try and update when I will have some time this week.

Edit May 6th: I went ahead and did a manual upgrade to CoreElect 19.1 RC4 and everything is working well. I did not see any issues and I just had to install the Matrix version of the Netflix addon (it gave me a few headaches because its developer is still using Kodi 18.x on its master branch). I have also bought a Sandisk Extreme A2 UHS-1 64 GB card, mostly because the 8 GB card that came with my N2 CoreElec edition ran out of space quite quickly, especially after adding my music to CoreElec. I did a backup using dd from the old microSD card, dumped the backup on the new 64 GB card, did a resize so that the storage partition would use all the existing free space and had zero issues since then. I think that the Sandisk Extreme A2 USH-1 card is better than the Sandisk industrial one. Write and read speeds are definitely better. I will keep the old card around for testing.

ye it’s definitely illegal what’s odroid uk are doing,any electrical product in the UK must have at minimum 1y warranty,but its actually 6y in England and 5y in Scotland,don’t know why we in Scotland only get 5 when England get 6,but then again us Scots have been getting shafted like this since William wallace

From memory I think that it was the Scottish Parliament that enacted the 5 year period.

It is not quite a 5-6 year warranty though, so always worth reading the details behind it.

But the 1 year is most definitely the case.

5-6 years? Or maybe 5-6 months? 5 years its a dream, that would be awesome. Only 2 years in the EU.