Odroid N2+ MicroSD-Card Speed slow

Hello,

sorry, if this has been posted before, but I could not find a solution for my problem in the forum.
Coming from Raspberry Pi4, I purchased an Odroid N2+ for HDR to SDR-Conversion.

Now I see, that the read and write speed on the MicroSD-Card are much slower compared to the Raspi4.
I’m using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB Card (A2, U3, V30) and these are my speeds using CoreELEC:

tv-wz:~/videos # dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile2 bs=1024k count=2000
2000+0 records in
2000+0 records out
2097152000 bytes (2.0GB) copied, 125.964006 seconds, 15.9MB/s

tv-wz:~/videos # dd if=testfile2 of=/dev/null
4096000+0 records in
4096000+0 records out
2097152000 bytes (2.0GB) copied, 96.919307 seconds, 20.6MB/s

Of course, this is not a show stopper for using Kodi.
But I wonder, if I misconfigured something.
The SD-Card Access should not be that slow, should it?

Best Regards

Richard

Try with larger bs.

Thanks for the Reply.
Larger Block-Sizes did not help.

Also, I realized the slow speed when copying data over via scp - so not in a “synthetic” Benchmark.
I will try with a different Micro-SD-Card later…

At least in theory looking at the specs, the N2+ should be able to transfer data much faster…

Best Regards

Richard

The high speed got disabled on N2 as it was leading to issues with some type of µSD and broke booting on these kind of media. So it got “limited” to ensure all µSD stay compatible.

As the system is loaded into RAM you will only have a difference on boot.
Just use eMMC if it is not fast enough.

Ok,
thanks for the explanation!
And enabling the full-speed-mode and see if it works is more than a simple config-option somewhere?

Just asking because when transferring movies to the 128GB card 15MB/s vs. 55MB/s is quite a difference… :slight_smile:
This way the Sandisk Extreme Pro card is real “pearl before swine” :slight_smile:
Thanks for your support

Richard

You need to modify your dtb.img to enable it, but you will need to take a look what exactly as I don’t remember anymore. Then maybe it end up on non booting µSD, doesn’t matter if the media is support high speed or not.

Thanks for your reply.
I‘m pretty new to the ARM Platform and did not really find out, how to use the dtc-Compiler with the dtc.img.
For a quick test I used the dtc.img from the original Hardkernel Ubuntu-Distro.
As a result, I could not see a significant difference in the speed.
As for emmc it seems that 64GB is the maximum size.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.