Odroid N2 test builds

I’m not complaining at all, I can easily just remove the eMMC if I want to try Ubuntu. I just thought it’s something that a few people will run into and that you should know about.

I didn’t take it as a complain and it is a problem.

Status update

My setup : 4GB N2 eMMC, Panasonic TX-50DX700B and Yamaha RXV383 Receiver.

I was unable to get my laptop to reconise my sdcard-Emmc adapter so burned image to sd card and then ran the install to eMMC script. Worked perfect.

When pass though enabled all formats that my receiver supports work good, DD, DTS, DTS-HD and TrueHD. However no audio when playing DD+ sample.
4k Picture looks great, really sharp. The box is noticeably quicker than my s912 box and handles the Estuary MOD V2 skin with ease, scrolling through lists of movies are as quick as my macbook.

Live TV via a HDhomerun is smooth, channels change quick.

With the GUI set to 1920x1080p all good, auto sitching to 4K HDR works as it should, as does setting the GUI to 4096x2160p ( although massive overscan in this mode ) however when setting the GUI to 3840x2160 the TV losses signal every couple of seconds.

Ive also disabled SDR2HDR as it made the GUI to bright, forcing the TV into HDR mode when it not HDR content?

Over all impressed by this little box and the work already done by the team.

Thanks

Matt

SDR2HDR is disabled by default. I had a few time the same HDMI issue and I think it was the cable.

I had this problem too. Putting the EMMC-to-MicroSD adaptor into a MicroSD-to-SD adaptor fixed it for me, my PC was then able to see it.

• DD+ not working at 4K resolution is a known issue. You can confirm this with a 1080P sample.
  • 4096x2160 should not be used with UHD TVs, the native resolution of all consumer TVs is 3840x2160.
  • Signal drops can often happen due to bad HDMI cables, that are not capable of handling the massive bandwidth requirements of a 4K@60Hz 10-bit signal.

Hi All, Been using these test builds with much excitement, thanks!

Not sure if this is test build related or not, however was flawless on previous Coreelec, everytime I go to update my library it starts the spinning notification top right then stops, screen gives sort of a “bright” UI quick flash and new content is not updated. I did copy sources.xml, maybe something isn’t setup right, however the library seems working apart from updates.

Something I’ve noticed on the test builds also is much more smoothing, not sure how to describe it… lack of colour “shade” on faces etc, very flat coloured and cartoon like, maybe this is due to cs/cd work that is still to come?

Thanks all!

Yeah, I changed my cables to some better ones in the drawer, that issue is fixed.

Any chance of a changelog for the 14th April build? would love to know what is fixed.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Any one else noticed picture slowdown on hd channels on live tv? Audio is fine?

HD movies, SD tv and 4K movies are all fine. As are the HD channels on my s912 box.

Matt

Is the github repository up to date with the last test build?

Did it start with a certain build? Or was that always there?

I have already encountered this error in python :wink:

2019-04-14 11:40:06.144 T:3513717616   ERROR: ## CoreELEC Addon ## oe::notify ## ERROR: (UnicodeEncodeError('ascii', u'Notification("CoreELEC", "T\xe9l\xe9chargement de la mise \xe0 jour termin\xe9", 5000, "/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.coreelec.settings/resources/skins/Default/media/icons/icon.png")', 27, 28, 'ordinal not in range(128)'))
2019-04-14 11:40:06.145 T:3513717616   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/data/CoreELEC/build.CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.0-devel/CoreELEC-settings-e449c35845b8c5ae82a7e5a66f75636e3f9de614/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.coreelec.settings/oe.py", line 125, in notify
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 27: ordinal not in range(128)

I’ll check when I get home.

It’s definitely does it on the 10th and the 14th build.

Matt

On 14th build.

DD+ passthrough works consistently with my Denon.
Excellent job.

Does it work with all refresh rates or just 24FPS content?

Tested with some netflix content
23.976 FPS - Our Planet
24.000 FPS - Love, Death, + Robots
25.000 FPS - The Last Kingdom

All good…

Btw, GUI sound is missing after (any) playback… Until next reboot.
Log http://ix.io/1Gbd

Not working at 4k resolution, still. And, it appears that the OS has become a little less stable. The system has crashed twice since the update about 4 hours ago. Both times, when I went to the main menu while a video was playing.
I have a feeling that it is related to changes in the resolution of gui that you guys are doing.

Set your GUI to 1080p so you don’t ‘suffer’ from the 4k GUI changes.

OK @Ray

Did a hard reset on my n2, back to default settings. Running april 14th build, same issue on the 10th build.

Went through the install the only changes ive made are to passthrough audio, enabling AC3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD and TrueHD.

Films all work good, HD and 4K, tested all audio formats including E-AC3 all get passed through good.
SD live TV all good, HD live tv is blocky/Pixelated and slows down randomly, audio continues to work. The problems with HD live tv are not present on my s912 box. All connected to a HDhomerun Quadro.
N2 connected to yamaha AVR then onto TV.
Can also confirm the no sound at all after playing E-AC3 stream, need to reboot.

Matt