Odroid N2 tonemapping HDR->SDR

RTD1619DR

Yes, the Amlogic is the worst, the SuperScaler could help with that, but it filters out too much noise.

1 Like

Did you use the Hable tonemap method on Amlogic?

I have similar result as you with Reinhard tonemap method but is much better with Hable in my x86 desktop computer, now I don’t know if Hable is available on Amlogic.

EDIT: It seems Hable is not implemented in GLES. :frowning:

Why would anybody let these boxs upscale to 4k?i always set mines to 1080p and let my lg upscale

AMLogic’s default upscaler is not really good quality, you’re better off if the TV scales up, so you did well.
My latest upscaling test: [link]

I remember the day I got rid of my CRT for an HD TV that was being heavily marketed.

Whilst, when I would turn on my CRT, the picture was pretty much perfect the first time and every time, without having to touch settings.

But the first moment that I tuned in to what was still only HDR OTA content, the results were truly horrifying and it took a lot of painstaking tweaking of settings to get an acceptable picture.

The same was true when I then upgraded to a 4K TV to get the best upscaled picture from SD and HD content.

So personally I would not rely on my TV to do a great out of the box job when it comes to upscaling. The mileage that others get may of course vary based upon their particular chosen brand of TV that may do a better job.

But to date, I have not found the basic upscaling capabilities of an AMLogic box any worse than that of my TV and apart from one instance of using whitelisting to get at the cause of a problem, I have never found a reason not to let the box do the upscaling.

I did just test out the various whitelisting options to see but I could discern no difference between the capabilities of the box and the TV.

Hello,
sorry, I could not find a newer topic covering HDR to SDR-Conversion.

I migrated from LibreELEC/Raspi4 to CoreELEC/N2+ because the Raspi was not able to tonemap 4k/HEVC/HDR-Content.
Now in CoreELEC with the new N2+ there is the option to tonemap HDR-Content for use with a SDR-TV.
I have a 2015 SDR 55" Samsung-TV hooked up to the N2+ and cannot get HDR-Content to be properly displayed. In fact, compared to the Raspi4 it looks even worse, because its WAY to dark on the SDR-Screen.
I tried 19.3 and 19.4 RC2 and it doesn’t make a difference.

Is there anything I can try to adjust to make the picture brighter?

Best Regards

Richard

Something more to add: I tried on a C4 and it’s the same issue:
Playing 4k/HEVC/HDR with HW-Decoder, the picture is way too dark.
When switching off amcodec, the picture looks perfect. But with only 3fps… :slight_smile:
Any idea, that the problem might be?

Best Regards
Richard

Did you happen to adjust TV settings before for other devices? A few users have found that cause of some of their feeling picture being to dark was that they had adjusted TV settings to look good with another device, and that was the cause of the picture looking a little off now.

No, I did not adjust it.
And if I disable the HW Decoder amcodec in the Kodi-Settings, the picture looks very good.
So it cannot be the TVs fault.

I added some more details including screenshots over in the hardkernel-forum:

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=39253&p=343470#p343470

The implication being that the amcodec is a key issue.

If I remember correctly though, it would have to be AMLogic themselves that would have to provide the solution, which, in reality is never likely to come.

I you want decent HDR to SDR tone mapping then you are better going for Kodi under an x86 platform to achieve it, where it works very well.