OpenVPN Server

Hello,

For some strange reason is OpenVPN compiled just for client mode in JustOS.

HTPC:~/openvpn # openvpn vpnServer.ovpn
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in vpnServer.ovpn:101: server (2.4.6)
Use --help for more information.

Could I kindly ask you to enable also server mode functionality for existing openvpn binary? I guess I could compile OpenVPN on my own, but as there is openvpn already part of CoreELEC (I think network tools), it would be a hassle with different versions, and not so clean approach.

I see, that you have a bit more friendly and welcome approach to different users needs than LE (At the end, MySQL very welcomed addon by vPeter was appretiated by LE team member as well, contrary to previous statement, that it should be done from docker), could I ask you to consider that option? I think this has great value for those behind not WRTed routers, but with HTPC boxes, and wanted a simple VPN.

Thank you!

Pretty please? https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/pull/213

For those who would like to have this, here is binary from Odroid C2 - 9.0.3:
openvpn (491.0 kB)

Most people won’t use OpenVPN Server and you already have at least two options to setup it:

1. Docker
  2. Entware

Isn’t that sufficient enough for people who want to setup OpenVPN server?

1 Like

OpenVPN binary is already part of OS, I dont understand, why I would must install chubby docker (and resource consuming) or another platform just to use it fully (just because saving 80 kB)?

In fact, I think most people doesnt use openvpn at all, and its there, also I think majority people doesnt need nmap and still its part of network addons etc…

I fully agree with you here.

Thanks for the PR @JimmyS, unfortunately you sent it to the wrong branch, I have added your commit to coreelec-9.2 branch and you should be able to use server mode in tomorrows nightly.

1 Like

Thank you!

I join the request. Entware softethervpn for CoreELEC does not work, it gives error in configuration settings when vpncmd is executed. Entware zerotier vpn works fine and is what I use to access CoreELEC without certificates or passwords but does not allow access to the home network, only to devices with zerotier (It is similar to having a vpn server in the cloud to which the devices are connected).