Panfrost support

I was reading this article and commenters suggested that the amlogic s922x could get better graphics support when implemented. Would this actually significantly boost performance and can it eventually be implemented?

(Odroid N2 user)

1 Like

This doesn’t yet cover the S922x, and even when it does it hasn’t got support for the onboard hardware acceleration which is so critical to running Kodi. As such its a step in the right direction but is unlikely to match what is currently available in the propitiatory AMLogic kernel.

Shoog

Any news? S922X + Kernel 6.0 + Panfrost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpB7AVu_XA

:zipper_mouth_face:

Sorry, but after 3 years there is no improvement. Crashing, h256 not supported at all, 10bit crash, no seek,…

And there will be never be an improvement. All this project is based on obsolete hardware and will not work on newer one as the hardware structure did now change already 2 times.

As long nobody invest millions of :money_with_wings: nothing will change. And there is nobody out there have such interests.

When users wait and hope this will get working one day, they should waste their time on other items…

1 Like

I recently setup a Kodi box using the Rockchip RK3588 based board just to see if it was viable. Rockchip is a lot better supported within Mainline than any of the AMLogic chips - but as it was I was terribly disappointed in the results. Everything was software decoded and the level of detail within the picture was terrible.
Lets remind everyone here - the mainline developers have zero interest (yes ZERO) in getting all the hardware decoding features of any ARM chip working in mainline and despite all the hype around the popular Rockchip family of chips - its a complete and utter waste of time trying to get a workable Kodi experience on any of them.

1 Like

RK3588 is still pretty poor here. On Android the hardware H.264/H.265 decoders are being used, but H.265 decoder is still buggy/glitches a lot.

I have an H96 Max V58 that did pretty well with most video formats and HDMI audio passthru worked with all audio formats but it overheated after several months use and is now bricked. I get I/O errors trying to write to its flash now, doesn’t seem to be any way resurrect it.