Refresh Rate Settings and Box Defaults

Was the consensus here that the box should be left at default resolution 1080p and 60 Hz and allow KODI to choose resolution?

The TV upgrades the incoming picture (4K X-Reality PRO™ upscales images to near 4K clarity and HDR. Our newly developed 4K HDR Processor X1 outperforms our original 4K Processor X1 with more real-time image processing power. It takes even non-HDR content to near 4K HDR quality).

that has always been the recommendation, gui should be set to 1080p and kodi will auto switch to 4k if needed.

1 Like

Is auto switching configurable?
Does kodi switch to lower resolution (e.g. gui at 1080p and content at 720p)?

It will be once CE moves to a newer Kodi base. The way resolution and refresh rate switching is handled has changed in newer Leia builds, it now uses a whitelist. With this whitelist, “Change refresh rate” should be set to “Always”.

right now I believe automatic downscale is not supported

All of my TV’s report they are switching up/down resolution/refresh rate as expected, why do you suspect otherwise?

Automatic downscale will be available in next CE release if you choose correct resolutions in whitelist settings.

2 Likes

So are my TV’s not actually switching at the moment? :thinking:

I used wrong downscale definition. I mean lower resolution, for 720P video for example. If you have 720p25Hz video and your TV is set to 1080p 50hz than you see it as 1080p25Hz or 1080p50Hz on your TV.
With whitelist it possible to see this video in 720p resolution also and use TV upscale algorithms
Whitelist Kodi PR

1 Like

Oh, OK. I never even noticed it had stopped changing the resolution (and there’s a big pop-up on the screen when changes happen) :rofl:

downscale have never been supported before, I remember kzsaq saying that on the le forums.

e.g. kodi gui resolution set at 1080p, you play a 720p file, the tv resolution will not switch to 720p.

but it’s good to hear that it will now be supported on future versions.

Really good news to the inmediate future of CE!!!

Great comments and support here. The information on the Whitelist is greatly appreciated.

Um…call me Mr Thicky here, but what’s the benefit of this?

I thought if I played 720p content when using resolution of 1080p then my TV upscales?

Isn’t that what we want to happen?

Why would you see the video in 720p resolution if your tv is scaling to 1080p?

I wonder what it would do if your playing netflix in 720p on your 4K tv…

Is 720p upscaling to 4k either?

The point is when you have a 4K TV and your UI is at 1080P, when you play SD or 720P video, the box upscales from the content resolution up to 1080P and then the TV does the upscaling from 1080P up to 4K.
If you have Kodi switch to the content resolution, the box won’t do any upscaling at all, and the TV will be using its video processor to do the heavy lifting.

1 Like

So far, I have not seen any commit on github about this.

Whitelist on xbmc github

can’t seem to find an instruction on how to whitelist?

here you are:
but CE youses still kodi version without this function

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462&pid=2722702#pid2722702