Remove boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz from updates

It appears unnecessary to me but, if I am misunderstanding the update (not fresh install) procedure then, of course, I can implement something for myself

The logo comes from the new SYSTEM partition.

If you want this done amend this script to cp a file from /storage/.config/custom.bmp after that ā€œifā€ I posted. Check for existance then overwrite.

Oh! I was sure that when I download update.tar and put this into .update the existing boot image survived. If thatā€™s not the case then, apologies (Iā€™ll have to go check again) :+1:

No and the tar is used for auto or manual updates. As I said. You want this done see one post up. Test it and then send a PR and we as a Team will see if thatā€™s something we want to accept.

Let me know if you need nore information.

OK guys, thanks for the info, if itā€™s not as simple as it looks then Ill go the startup script route

1 Like

Itā€™s not hard. The code can just be repeated as in the statement where the hk boot logo is copied. Of course this needs to be added to all other devices too.

OK, no laughing but . . . What script? :grinning:

Maybe can be solved by manual dropping an empty marker file .noupd, and changing

with
if [ -f $SYSTEM_ROOT/usr/share/bootloader/hk-boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz ] && [ ! -f $BOOT_ROOT/.noupd ]; then
Just an idea to keep peace (at least hereā€¦)

2 Likes

@rho-bot Thanks for your input. That certainly does seem to be a simple solution :clap: :clap:
If there is a way to remove this irritation, without me having to learn how to produce a script, Iā€™d appreciate it.
The reason that I asked here was because I am not a dev and do not write programs / scripts and so it will obviously take me a considerable amount of time to study different examples etc. and eventually devise the script required to simply stop a file, that was designed to be changed, being reverted at each update. :thinking: :+1:
I didnā€™t realise that this would be such a headache for the devs that deal with this stuff all the time

Maybe it has more to do with Hardkernel than with CE devs, because removing manufacturers logo is not nicely received. I also use my self-made logo, but kept Hardkernel name on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a great idea. Just not a general name as .noupd. Because it needs to be specific to to logo.

$BOOT_ROOT/boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz.noupd

Nonetheless the update.sh script needs an overhaul.

1 Like

Donā€™t bother. Let me discuss this in slack if we can accept that. If yes I will push it.

1 Like

Mine are named the same as original, still get overwritten (but it seems a possible solution is in the air :crossed_fingers: )

Put this in /storage/.config/autostart.sh

(
HK_LOGO="/flash/boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz"
USER_LOGO="/flash/user-boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz"

if [ -f "${HK_LOGO}" -a -f "${USER_LOGO"} ]; then
  if [ "$(md5sum ${HK_LOGO} | cut -d' ' -f1)" != "$(md5sum ${USER_LOGO} | cut -d' ' -f1)" ]; then
    mount -o remount,rw /flash
    cp "${USER_LOGO}" "${HK_LOGO}"
  	mount -o remount,ro /flash
  fi
fi
)&

and put your custom file as user-boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz in /flash. Your file will overwrite the original hk logo after first boot after update.

Thanks for the assistance but, if the .noupd can be implemented, that would be a much better solution than each (sometimes daily) update overwriting a file followed by a script overwriting the file that the update just wrote. Much tidier (and healthier for the emmc) to simply not overwrite anything, if not required. :thinking: :+1:

Ofcourse, mine are also named same as original, otherwise they wouldnā€™t work.
What I meant is that on the logo picture I have incorporated Hardkernelā€™s logo and name. Looks like this:
boot-logo-1080_1.bmp (5.9 MB)

1 Like

Is there any advancement on this yet?

In the meantime I tried @vpeter 's suggested autostart.sh but that fails to execute with the following error:

Command '"/storage/.config/autostart.sh"'
failed with return code 2 and the following error message.
/storage/.config/autostart.sh: line 14: syntax error: unterminated quoted string

Thanks guys

Looks like you did bad copy/paste or maybe file is DOS formatted.

Anyway, with current nighly version there is something implemented.
Save your custom boot logo as /flash/user-boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz. Then create a script file /flash/user-update.sh with this content

cp /flash/user-boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz /flash/boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz

and your logo will be used after update.

And this issue is closed.

4 Likes

Thanks for that guys, it did the trick :+1:

1 Like