Remove boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz from updates

Is there any chance that updates could NOT keep overwriting the custom boot image of the device? (In my case the N2+)
Even if there is no custom image in use, the device would already be displaying the default boot image so continually replacing boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz seems pointless. Obviously it will replace any custom image that exists which, presumably, is the preferred image of the user that put it there and therefor need to be replaced after every update

No, the default boot image is boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz. If you remove it the screen remains blank. It’s not the CE logo, it’s the bootloader logo. “Normal” bootloader do implement a logo partition and would load the picture from there.

The bootloader logo is branded and signed off by the vendor, so there is no “easy” way to replace it.

Thanks for the swift response. :+1:
My point is that the desired boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz is already present on the device. HardKernel give us a convenient method to customise the boot image by replacing the bmp image in this file with one of our own choice but each CE update overwrites any existing boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz with the default one.
Since HardKernel allow us to use our own image, why is CE persistently, unnecessarily resetting it to the default image at each update? :thinking:

The only way to prevent this irritation seems to be to turn off automatic updates and apply them manually

You mix up the bootloader logo and CE boot logo, this are two different things. You can feel free to use a custom boot logo but the bootloader logo was never intended to be customized. And this “hardcoded” bootloader logo will not be changed official by CoreELEC.

But for sure you, can make a own script and just replace the bootloader logo on each boot to your custom one. It’s all open source…

The fact that it overwrites the file has always been a feature not a bug. Those are files we are able to update and are not supposed to be changed. Imagine we want to have a new logo someday and 99% of our users (the once who doesn’t change their logo) are stuck with an old one.

There is a simple solution how you can always have your bmp file. Make a small script that you run from autostart.sh.
For instance make a checksum and check it from autostart.sh if it’s different than your bmp checksum remount /flash rw then cp your bmp which you keep backed up somewhere in /storage. Or compare filesize as this will be quicker.

The logo I am referring to is the HardKernel device boot logo.
@Ray The CoreElec logo has nothing to do with what I am talking about.
Another simple solution would be to not overwrite as this is nothing to do with CoreElec branding and HardKernel have thoughtfully designed it this way to allow users to use their own BOOT logo (not CoreElec starting splash screen).
Another simple solution is to manually update but then I am unable to assist CoreElec in looking for bugs in their nightlies.

@Portisch I wasn’t asking CoreELEC to change any ‘hardcoded’ bootloader logo. I was asking if CE would stop resetting the ‘softcoded’, customisable version contained in boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz back to default :+1:

Shame CE doesn’t seem to grasp that they are removing a helpful feature provided by HK by persistently overwriting a customised device boot logo (nothing to do with unscrupulous bandits trying to mask the CE product, as that splash comes after the boot image :roll_eyes:)

Not to worry, I presumed it was an oversight. If it is done intentionally then no probs, I’ll deal with it :wink:

I gave you a simple solution but you just ignored that. Now we have to implement something for a small minority? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

If you find a better way to implement with the possibility for us to update the logo in the future be my guest and send a PR. There is another way it could be done but it requires some work. If you need any pointers or help let me know.

It doesn’t make sense that you would remove a feature provided by the manufacturer intentionally. Especially when it is easy to not overwrite the file and leave any bott image not associated with CE alone.

The fix is not difficult and as this is only enforced on nightly updates, it begs the question why?

Like I said, if it’s too hard to stop messing up a feature that some people use (who cares, only the minority - right?), then don’t worry I’ll fix it for me but that won’t help others with the same problem than won’t report it because thay can see the attitude thay will be met with. C’mon Ray , you’re better than that

All discuss about a logo visible for ~0.8 seconds…

It is this as Ray said and want be changed.

No worries guys, if you can’t do it I will - relax :wink: :+1:

As finish up and to see it’s just not so easy:

You can change this in source to be able to load a different logo.

I am not the one who should watch his attitude. You have come into this discussion with nothing but empty threats about not updating at all. If you don’t want to update or use nightly then don’t. I can’t force you.

@Portisch All I am asking for is the boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz to not be included in the nightly update then it would not overwrite any existing boot-logo-1080.bmp.gz - much simpler solution! Since it is an update any required device boot logo will already be present

@Ray Simmer down. I made a simple request and am quite surprised as to why you can’t understand just how simple it is. Don’t worry, relax, be happy :laughing:

Or we can just remove the boot logo all together because it’s not required to fight over 0.8s. I never liked those vendor logos in the first place.

1 Like

Well do that then. Then you will not be overwriting any customised ones, problem solved! :+1:
And those that want a boot logo can easily add one anyhow :thinking:

1 Like

This is not possible! When we change the logo the user will never get a update. This is a no-go as we see the same problems with config.ini

Portisch let’s remove this line:

Problem solved

The update.tar does not contain the boot logo. Is the tar file not what is downloaded during auto update?
I only refer to the fact that since the update is only updating the kernel and system images why is the bootlogo image necessary?

https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/blob/coreelec-20/projects/Amlogic-ce/devices/Amlogic-ng/bootloader/update.sh#L139