Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

Also the internal wifi?

I don’t want to use the adapter, as it is only 150Mbit, if I could use the internal wifi and connect to my router with full speed.

No, only USB stick. If you want try this image where USB stick should work: File on MEGA

USB stick is working now thank you.

Can I do anything to help get the built-in wifi to work with my router?

Ah! The upcoming holidays totally made me miss the the re-release of the NE images to the public domain. Gonna try right away, thx!!

Was still running the NG, just realized the NE’s are back for public testing, gonna try those, thanks for the reply though!

Hi everyone. Is it possible to install CE over NAND/eMMC on these S905X4 devices (HK1 etc)?

I am running the NE version on the internal eMMC on my HK1 X4.

2 Likes

Just tried the 25th and 27th December newly restarted ‘ne’ builds on my Vontar - neither boots with the 4GB_1Gbit device tree that worked with the ‘ng’ builds? I just get stuck at the Vontar splash screen when I use the toothpick method to press the button inside the AV jack on power up. Reverting to a newly flashed ‘ng’ uSD card boots fine. I tried copying the ne .tar update across and it didn’t like it when it tried updating on reboot (giving an error message about ng hardware not compatible with ne etc. etc.)

Any hints as to what I’m doing wrong?

You can’t use dtb from ng releases. Use the one from ne device tree folder it’s a matter of copying one file and renaming it to dtb.img :joy: don’t be lazy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not doing that!

I’m copying and renaming the s905x4_4g_1gb file from the device tree folder on the ‘ne’ uSD card I had imaged, just as I did when I prepped an ‘ng’ uSD Card.

Well. I dont know then :blush: try to install release from november. It will update anyway.
You can find it here

This one worked on mine when it wasn’t available for public :wink:

I’ve got a bit further through things.

When I boot from the ne image I get the Vontar logo displayed (I never see a CoreElec splash screen) but after a while I can hear the CoreElec UI sound you hear when the new install wizard starts, and then I can hear the navigation UI sounds. I just can’t see the Kodi UI - just the Vontar logo.

The same thing - in hindsight - happened with both the recent ne build and the Khadas VIM link you posted (with an s905x4_4_1g device tree)

Plug it in to a different tv. Older one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Set it up with ssh and then some dev will help you here what’s going on.

It’s plugged into a basic HDMI display that can cope with pretty much everything - 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and it handles 50/59.94/60Hz fine - and it IS displaying the Vontar logo when it boots into Kodi - it stays showing the Vontar logo on its HDMI output. (You can hear the Kodi UI navigation)

I don’t get a ‘not supported’ or similar error - it’s generating valid video that the monitor is displaying.

Is there a way of enabling ssh in a boot line or similar?

5th attempt with the 27th December ‘ne’ build - and it finally didn’t loop around… I’m in…

1 Like

Yes, in file /flash/config.ini (first partition on boot medium)

coreelec='quiet ssh'

When enabled this way it can’t be disabled from CoreELEC settings addon.

2 Likes

Yup tried an NE nightly on my Vontar x4 and all my problems seem to be fixed (networking and audio). Thx for the tip!

OK - looking at testing a bit more. So far I’ve not had HDR10 or HLG content playback correctly in HDR - and in System Info : Video : Display supported HDR Types I see ‘None’…

The cable is good (other 18Gbps sources have been fine via it) and the Denon AVR and Sony UHD HDR TV are both connected with 4:2:2 Enhanced so can cope with both 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 UHD HDR content.

I may power cycle everything to check it’s not a “funny”…

*** EDIT - Power cycling everything has returned HLG and HDR10 playback - though “Display Supported HDR types :” still shows none ***

This:

System Info : Video : Display supported HDR Types I see ‘None’

Is normal, no real indication of HDR support. As usual you can try the normal steps, try the direct connection, without AVR and see the video options on colourspace and others to avoid any config error or system incompatibility. I can assure you HDR10 and HDR10+ work.