Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

You can try to disable USB port like that: Disabling the Webcam or USB Ports on Linux - Karl's Code

But sometimes only port is disabled but power keeps going on :frowning:

1 Like

Will this ever be fixed guys? Miss my 120hz refresh rate badly :frowning:

Nobody have a 120hz TV…

It used to work OK in stable releases.
You mean nobody from dev team? :wink:

Nobody of the dev team have a 120hz TV, no.
It’s way to far in future feature…

1 Like

Hi there, fantastic work!

I’m asking here since devices should be very similar, I’ve got an A95x F4. Used to have this thread but it’s now closed. Tried 2 usb drives, 3 sd cards, I can’t get it to override the inbuilt recovery, wether by trying to boot CE or flashing newer Android, on 2 computers, 2 A-to-A cables, with several different USB ports.

I know it’s a cheap box that isn’t recommended but I fail to understand how the cheapest of the lot among the manufacturers decided and then managed to lock their device as imo it implies more work and most of what they do is making knockoffs of eachother’s products, right?

@freddy Did you use Aml usb tool v3 for flashing Android 11?
I am powering from usb (like this video seems to show) and not from DC jack. I’m a little scared to do that as it’s a big DON’T in embedded world to power from 2 sources. @borygo Does your device start if you just plug USB to computer?
Also, is it generally safe to use 4G variants Android images on a 2G device? I’ve got a 2G 100mb variant.

Thanks a lot everyone, I hope it’s still allowed to talk about these devices let’s get more devices running more Linux-y thingies!
Don’t buy an A95x! Get one of those mentioned above!

holding the button in av hole plugging in power supply and second later usb male to pc. That’s the only way it works with vontar x4. Not sure about img you use. Try to find proper img on xda or 4pda…

1 Like

Thanks! Though I meant, does it just get power from the USB, like, if you just plug HDMI + usb, does it start normally? I’m just making sure I won’t blow anything by plugging both USB (which on a95x powers the board on) and DC at the same time.

It does powering on. You will see led changing colour to working one but you dont need to be worry. I’m not the only one loading firmware this way… Nothing gonna break!

1 Like

Yes i used v3

My A95XF4 is 4/32 it is first release thay came with
Android 10
Coreelec would not load boot.

So needed to flash Android 11
I have superceleron tanix mod
Which includes remote config for a95xf4

I did not have to plug in power supply to flash img.

For remote config i use one from
A95x f3 air
It is in repository

VFD config is in repository also

Happy Testing

1 Like

Hi and thank you very much for your quick reply! :clap:

I’m making myself yet another A-to-A USB cable just to make sure. Also I’ll try with another computer too.

I can’t seem to make this work.
It’s either my cable that is too unstable, I really tried to make that one correctly, with shrinkwrap for every wire. The amlogic tool simply doesn’t pick it up when I connect it. The screen just shows the recovery window with “No command” written and the green android with the open belly in the background.

Or it’s a driver issue.
Edit: It’s in fact in the “Android devices” category and will show up as “USB download gadget”, does this one get detected in “Device manager” when you hold Reset + insert USB cable? This is the driver contained in Amlogic software but I can only see it appear when I do “Reboot to bootloader” in recovery, which I shouldn’t have to do. I just had to uninstall 3 drivers that were used instead of the amlogic android_winusb one, then reinstall amlogic one with their software, then install it manually again, and then I could see it when I do “reboot to bootloader”. Still nothing in AML Usb Burning tool.
I’d appreciate the help if anyone here check in Windows peripherals, Click “show hidden devices” in Display, then in the list there should have something like “Other peripherals” or “Misc devices”, in french it’s “Autres périphériques” and in that category “USB download gadget”, what’s the selected driver for that device? Thanks a lot

Edit2: Just fyi, the order I do things is : start Aml tool, load image, click start, press reset, insert cable while holding reset. Except nothing happens in Aml tool. Just like the video I linked earlier, I treat it as proof and ground truth for this device.

This is very frustrating! I guess I just should not buy any second-hand TV box junk, not even when it’s just 30€! :smile:

I finally had almost immediate success with a new USB cable on a different computer running a freshly installed Windows 11. I first tried with one port, burn tool detected it but didn’t finish connecting, I tried another port and then it worked.

Even though the Android 11 firmware I flashed doesn’t actually boot, I can go to recovery and can confirm Android recovery is version 11, which in the case of A95x is needed to have an unlocked bootloader. Then I inserted the Coreelec sd card, depressed reset as I connect DC jack and boom, Coreelec booted :+1:
@freddy Thank you so much for your help and mentioning the precious info that Android 11 is needed.

Running ng 20.1 nightly, dtb is sc2_s905x4_2g, wifi working!

2 Likes

Since switching over to ne whenever I suspend the device either via remote or via CEC from the TV it automatically turns back on after a second.
I have found another thread from 4 years ago which lists a faulty bootloader as a possible reason but it was apparently never resolved.

@freddy Did you try coreelec-amlogic-ne on A95X F4?
After flashing Android 11 like I said, even though the device would just bootloop on the “A95X” screen (but recovery shows it’s android 11) , the only coreelec version I got to work was coreelec-ng, none of the ne, either nightly, arm or aarch64, would boot, it just stays on the “A95X” screen. Also do you know how to find Android 11 for the 2G/100Mb version of A95X F4?
I’ve just tried CE rom v6 ATV, Aml USB burn tool fails at 5% with “Failed at dts check”, I guess since the rom is made for another device it just doesn’t work?

I will have a look at my A95XF4

My box was 2021 android 10 4/32 100mg

Wifi mtk 7668 rtn.

2 months later instead if updating current boxes to Android 11

They made new boxes with different chipsets
Wifi
Ethernet
Etc…

You could try 4pda for firmware for 2gig version you have.

Also in search bar here type in A95XF4 S905X4

All relevant posts/threads will take you to

Happy Testing

Iam using 20.1 Nexus. ne .arm
Latest nightly 04/28/2023
5.4.125 kernel

With no issues on A95XF4 S905X4 4/ 32

There us no Android 11 for your A95XF4 2 gig box.

However for an Android 11 Base
You could try the following
They are listed as S905X4 2/16 ddr3 Ram versions

Tox3 lite
X96x4
H96max X4
Hk1 rbox x4s
Transpeed x4 100

Also slimboxtv modded versions for X96x4 may work on your box

Happy Testing

I had a Vontar version of this sitting in a drawer with a CE20 ne nightly installed and I took it out today and let it upgrade to 20.1. Now it doesn’t show anything on the screen after the initial OEM splash screen but will let me SSH into the box and the banner says

#                  CoreELEC                  #
#            https://coreelec.org            #
##############################################

CoreELEC (official): 20.1-Nexus (Amlogic-ne.arm)
      Machine model: Amlogic
     CoreELEC dt-id: sc2_s905x4_4g_1gbit

It’s running off a microSD card.

What could have gone wrong?

Clean install on SD will solve all issues.

A new install booted but it is not taking the custom keymap from the remote though I copied the files over into the Configfiles and Configfiles/rc_keymaps folders from the previous installation. Need to spend some time debugging this.

The custom vfd.conf file did work though.

Added: Turns out that the batteries in the remote were substantially drained and needed replacing!

1 Like