Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

Not alone. Found on pda there’s many vontar boxes unable to connect properly… Not a big deal. Have CE20.1 and it works flawless :+1:

I am sure I went from CE internal back to Android, but not positive. Also, each box requires a different approach.
Try different tools, and even try with power connected…
I tried to install different ROMs on my new TOX3 box yesterday and it took me awhile. I kept trying with different ROMs and burning tools, but no power connected. As soon as I connected the power all of those ROMs burned into the box. By try different methods for your box, I am sure it can be done.

1 Like

HK1 RBOX X4 fresh install of CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.arm-20.1-Nexus-Generic.img.gz
using sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4.dtb still not correct working internal LAN. :frowning:
DHCP results weirdest settings, when manually entering IP-adress, subnet and routerip devices behaves very strange. For instance config in GUI is not available anymore.

And only because of your post I never gave up. Uploaded new Android image today! :blush:
Strange but I had to give it power supply first with av button pressed and then connect usb male to male cable…

Running today nightly kodi 21 from emmc. 120hz screen is broken :wink: got half ok and half of the screen zoomed 4x

Shutdown problem solved with new cec settings.

Hi.

I have the same issue and same desire: I want the fan to be shut down when the box is “shut down”, like in my old X96 s905x3 box. How could the USB ports left on forever? Such design…

The NO thermistor set to 40 degrees seems the easiest way to achieve it. I think I will give it a try…

You can try to disable USB port like that: Disabling the Webcam or USB Ports on Linux - Karl's Code

But sometimes only port is disabled but power keeps going on :frowning:

1 Like

Will this ever be fixed guys? Miss my 120hz refresh rate badly :frowning:

Nobody have a 120hz TV…

It used to work OK in stable releases.
You mean nobody from dev team? :wink:

Nobody of the dev team have a 120hz TV, no.
It’s way to far in future feature…

1 Like

Hi there, fantastic work!

I’m asking here since devices should be very similar, I’ve got an A95x F4. Used to have this thread but it’s now closed. Tried 2 usb drives, 3 sd cards, I can’t get it to override the inbuilt recovery, wether by trying to boot CE or flashing newer Android, on 2 computers, 2 A-to-A cables, with several different USB ports.

I know it’s a cheap box that isn’t recommended but I fail to understand how the cheapest of the lot among the manufacturers decided and then managed to lock their device as imo it implies more work and most of what they do is making knockoffs of eachother’s products, right?

@freddy Did you use Aml usb tool v3 for flashing Android 11?
I am powering from usb (like this video seems to show) and not from DC jack. I’m a little scared to do that as it’s a big DON’T in embedded world to power from 2 sources. @borygo Does your device start if you just plug USB to computer?
Also, is it generally safe to use 4G variants Android images on a 2G device? I’ve got a 2G 100mb variant.

Thanks a lot everyone, I hope it’s still allowed to talk about these devices let’s get more devices running more Linux-y thingies!
Don’t buy an A95x! Get one of those mentioned above!

holding the button in av hole plugging in power supply and second later usb male to pc. That’s the only way it works with vontar x4. Not sure about img you use. Try to find proper img on xda or 4pda…

1 Like

Thanks! Though I meant, does it just get power from the USB, like, if you just plug HDMI + usb, does it start normally? I’m just making sure I won’t blow anything by plugging both USB (which on a95x powers the board on) and DC at the same time.

It does powering on. You will see led changing colour to working one but you dont need to be worry. I’m not the only one loading firmware this way… Nothing gonna break!

1 Like

Yes i used v3

My A95XF4 is 4/32 it is first release thay came with
Android 10
Coreelec would not load boot.

So needed to flash Android 11
I have superceleron tanix mod
Which includes remote config for a95xf4

I did not have to plug in power supply to flash img.

For remote config i use one from
A95x f3 air
It is in repository

VFD config is in repository also

Happy Testing

1 Like

Hi and thank you very much for your quick reply! :clap:

I’m making myself yet another A-to-A USB cable just to make sure. Also I’ll try with another computer too.

I can’t seem to make this work.
It’s either my cable that is too unstable, I really tried to make that one correctly, with shrinkwrap for every wire. The amlogic tool simply doesn’t pick it up when I connect it. The screen just shows the recovery window with “No command” written and the green android with the open belly in the background.

Or it’s a driver issue.
Edit: It’s in fact in the “Android devices” category and will show up as “USB download gadget”, does this one get detected in “Device manager” when you hold Reset + insert USB cable? This is the driver contained in Amlogic software but I can only see it appear when I do “Reboot to bootloader” in recovery, which I shouldn’t have to do. I just had to uninstall 3 drivers that were used instead of the amlogic android_winusb one, then reinstall amlogic one with their software, then install it manually again, and then I could see it when I do “reboot to bootloader”. Still nothing in AML Usb Burning tool.
I’d appreciate the help if anyone here check in Windows peripherals, Click “show hidden devices” in Display, then in the list there should have something like “Other peripherals” or “Misc devices”, in french it’s “Autres périphériques” and in that category “USB download gadget”, what’s the selected driver for that device? Thanks a lot

Edit2: Just fyi, the order I do things is : start Aml tool, load image, click start, press reset, insert cable while holding reset. Except nothing happens in Aml tool. Just like the video I linked earlier, I treat it as proof and ground truth for this device.

This is very frustrating! I guess I just should not buy any second-hand TV box junk, not even when it’s just 30€! :smile:

I finally had almost immediate success with a new USB cable on a different computer running a freshly installed Windows 11. I first tried with one port, burn tool detected it but didn’t finish connecting, I tried another port and then it worked.

Even though the Android 11 firmware I flashed doesn’t actually boot, I can go to recovery and can confirm Android recovery is version 11, which in the case of A95x is needed to have an unlocked bootloader. Then I inserted the Coreelec sd card, depressed reset as I connect DC jack and boom, Coreelec booted :+1:
@freddy Thank you so much for your help and mentioning the precious info that Android 11 is needed.

Running ng 20.1 nightly, dtb is sc2_s905x4_2g, wifi working!

2 Likes

Since switching over to ne whenever I suspend the device either via remote or via CEC from the TV it automatically turns back on after a second.
I have found another thread from 4 years ago which lists a faulty bootloader as a possible reason but it was apparently never resolved.