Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

Did you follow the instructions to install the correct /storage/.config/vfd.conf https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/how-to-configure-vfd and reboot

Martin

That is correct. I powered in such a way my H96 max X3 for almost 3 months, with no problem.
Finally I discovered that my power adapter was perfect and responsible was the power connector of the TVbox !!! Just resoldered 3 contacts (of the power connector at the motherboad) and everything is perfect as new !!! This seems to be a very common problem (solder points of power connector) to the “family” of HK1 Box (S905X3), H96 max X3, Vontar X3 etc. As the new S905X4 seem to have the same motherbord with HK1 Box (S905X3), please be aware of this if suddenly you have sudden reboots or no power at all… :wink:

And the lord, said let there be light and light shine upon them… :slight_smile:
Works like a charm…
Thank you.

Perfect !!! Now use the OpenVFD addon to display permanently the temperature at the display !!

Yes. This works. Need to use the DTB provided by emveepee

I just discover that my faulty HK1 Box will power on by itself. Every time i turn off the power, the box will turn off but it turn back on by itself a few seconds later. This happens with both USB power or the power supply from manufacturer. Maybe that is why it’s causing it to crash randomly. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

A few post up, I linked a file from freak tab so you can do a complete firmware update on your box.

Preferably you do the firmware update using the USB burning tool method, using the img file.

That should eliminate anything due to the firmware.

One more thing. I am tried to install some games to try see if it would crash the system but I cannot install big filesize app. It say not enough memory but my box is 64gb and it’s barely 5% storage used.

This box is just so crappy for me.

"Attachment won’t turn off

On the drain, this happens when it is connected via Lan, and turn off wifi in the settings. So it stops turning off. But it’s worth turning on the slider in the network settings, everything becomes normal"

The above is from 4pda - maybe it will help you?

Are you able to display the temperature ?

Yes, I keep the top off because mine is an oven at 62 C or higher.

1 Like

Just place a USB fan under it. You can buy one or make it yourself (i.e. using a fan from an old Tower PC or buing one etc). It will lower the temperature by 10-15 degrees Celcius !

**62 degrees is not too much. Only if you see something like 75+ you should worry. Anyway a USB fan under it will help. Only problem that the USB ports still have power after sleep/OFF state !! So in order not to turn 24/7 you need to either connect the USB fan to the USB port of your TV, or use a USB hub with switches etc.

Mine does get a little warm!!! :slight_smile:

I am not really concerned, gotten used to these devices running outrageously hot.

Came from the old school when 130 degrees F, was considered the trigger point for degradation of the diodes, triacs, etc… I would have thought with these temps, these boxes would have disintegrated.

I run these boxes 24/7 since they draw little energy. This little device is running my Tvheadend DVR server AND Emby server.

Still waiting for my Ugoos X4 to arrive, so I can test the temp on that device. I would imagine that the temps will be similar.

Edit: Not sure where the temp info is taken from, but I really don’t believe that 95 degree reading. The box does NOT feel that hot. I don’t have a temp reading gun to test.

I try to update the firmware with Amlogic USB burn tool but it could not detect my HK1 box. I try different version of the burn tool and non seems to work. Need help

I am using USB burning tool version… 3.2.0.
Make sure you use the USB 2 port on your box, because that is the OTG port. Also, use a USB 2 port on your Windows PC.

When you installed the burning tool, it added the drivers to your PC.

1. Open the burning tool and load the “img” file.
  2. Click the “Start” button.
  3. Depress the “reset” button using a round toothpick (cut off the sharp
    point), you can hear it and feel it when it is depressed.
  4. Continue to keep the “reset” button depressed as you connect your
    USB male to male USB cable into the USB 2 port on your box.
  5. Your box should connect, the remove the toothpick.

If this fails, try a differ USB2 port on your PC or try a different PC.

I bought a custom acrylic box for my HK1 Box X4 and a larger heat sink and also a fan. Now the temp hardly go above 45C. Its a shame my box is having problem with crashing.

The white heat sink is the original heatsink on the amlogic X4 chip which I just stick to one of the smaller chip. The large heatsink covers all the chips and also the 4memory chip

1 Like

I used the OTA update which was easy. but it won’t necessarily clean off the junk, it probably is a component though. Maybe just try factory reset.

These boxes can’t be trusted (included ugoos, especially if you don’t know the source) so buyer beware. It’s not just the box, think about the TV at the end of the unprotected HDMI.

I tried OTA but it give error message.

I did tried with a PC and a laptop. Tried 2 different USB port on both PC and Laptop still no connection. I tried with 2 USB cable. I press the reset button then connect to the USB port next to the SD card slot.

Did you remove the CPU heat sink before you started having issues??