Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

Certain batch of the boards cannot enter USB Burning mode entirely even if you short the eMMC and force it into the SoC’s burning mode. I have a HK1 BOX (S905X3) and a HK1 RBOX X4 (S905X4), both have printed text on the board labeled HK1_S905X4_4BIT_V11 2019-11-05 (yeah the x3 box also uses a “x4” board, since x3 and x4 are pin-to-pin compatible). Both have UART and I can confirm connection is even impossible with u-boot manipulation.

The only way you can burn an image, then, is to use Amlogic’s SD card burn tool and make a burning SD card, and then either hold reset or reboot update from u-boot or short emmc test points on the back of the board

The issues happen before I change to this custom box. At first I thought it was the heat. But even after i solve the heat issues, it still happen but less often

From the picture below, the usb port nearer to the micro USB card slot is USB3.

Now i tried with the other USB port and I see connect. Is this correct?

The port NEXT to the card slot is the USB 3 port, Do NOT use that port. The other USB port is the OTG port.
The USB 3 port is ALWAYS colored BLUE!! At least on all of the devices that I have.

Strange, I have never run into that issue.
In the last 8 or 10 years, I have had dozens of boxes (yes, that is sick), including, Allwinner, Rockchip and Amlogic. I have swapped firmwares, dozens, if not hundred of times. I have only “killed” one device and it was a Rockchip device.

Yes, now that your burning tool shows connected, you can burn the “img” file.

Out of all my 6 Amlogic devices these are the only two that won’t get any response on the other side of the USB connection even when the box is forced into USB Burning mode by typing update in u-boot, they are certainly strange.

Thank you all so much. I successfully flash my firmware. Now when i turn off the power, I see the red led on but the display stays on and looks like wifi still connected. Is there some setting I muct change?

Just checked…it did not solve the self power on issue. I try boot to CE and then power it down. A few seconds later. It turn on itself again!! I think I just have to accept that this box is a lemon

Let me try to understand.
You can get into CE, and while using CE, your boxes reboots??

For instance, you are running CoreELEC and watching a video, then your box reboots??

The box would crash when running Android or CE. When it crash, the TV screen would just suddenly show that white noise thing and the speaker make those loud buzzing sound. Then the only way is to turn off the power supply.

I found the Power off features. Just need to long press the Power button on the remote for Shut down option. Interestingly when I shut down with android, it doesn’t turn back on itself. But when I am in CE and shut down from CE, it will turn itself back on again after a few seconds

Update: Previously I cannot even install games on the box. After flashing the new firmware I can install game but the moment I start the game, it would crash showing the white noise thing on the screen

It certainly appears that your box is FUBAR.

Yes it is. I try to install Asphalt 8 to see if it would crash the box. when I start the game it immediately crash. After reboot it did start then the game ask for installation of the full game. I let it install but then it gave me a error message that I must clear some space as I do not have enough storage space. I check and it shows 57GB of free space. This box is really a junk

Did you see this I wrote? I do not know if it is usefull though:
"Attachment won’t turn off

On the drain, this happens when it is connected via Lan, and turn off wifi in the settings. So it stops turning off. But it’s worth turning on the slider in the network settings, everything becomes normal"

The above is from 4pda - maybe it will help you?

***Also be aware that many users while removing the stock radiator either permanently damaged their TVbox or did have some issues (similar to the ones you report) !!!

90 degrees is too much…!!! especially if you have such temperatures for a long time and not temporary…This must be the correct temperature…Actually there are 2 sensors inside, but they will give similar readings (not much difference).
Anything above 75+ is no good news in the long term…and not only for the processor that it can stand 105 degrees (protecting itself at the same time by lowering the frequency etc), but also for other critical components like the memory module, the wifi module etc
So just put a USB fan under it and you will see temperatures 10-15 lower. You can buy one (about 5-8 euros) or make it yourself as I did for all my 4 TVboxes.
In Android use the “CPU Monitor” apk from Playstore. In Settings enable the very small floating window…you can drag it anywhere you want on the TV’s screen…leave it there to see temperatures under different use.

The box is warm, but not hot, that is why I find the 95 C degrees not accurate.

My media is scattered all across my network. I have 3 external hard drives, which were connected to a miniPC, but I moved them to a miniPC running LibreELEC. So, I had to re-scrape all of my media, movies and TV shows. Been scrapping non-stop for 3 days, and have no issues playing high bitrate videos while device is scrapping my media.

I would think if this device was indeed running at 95C, it would have burned up by now.

Don’t know how to test if the CPU is throttling while playing the high bitrate videos, but the video plays smoothly.

Here is my video from 4 years ago, adding a fan to one of my boxes. I had a couple of the same box without mods, and they worked just fine without the fan mod.

IMHO you better place a USB fan under your TVbox. Buy one or DIY (I made 4 such from very old Tower PC fan). Also I attach here specs for S905X3 (I suppose S905X4 will be something similar). I am almost sure that the temprature readings you are getting are correct…and too high at the same time !!!..although the processor can “stand” such temperatures.

*****At the same time you do not touch/alter your TVbox in anyway. Nothing bad can happen. Only 10-15 degrees lower temperature.

Looking at my video from 4 years ago, that box was running 90c also. But I haven’t modded or added external fans on any of my boxes since then. Have not had one die on me yet.
Yes, that does sound crazy, running these boxes at that temp. Theoretically, they should physically burn themselves up.

But all I can say is that I have a lot of those boxes, and yes ALL of them run hot, but never lost one from heat (that I recall).

“who gets the error “not enough memory”, → update via APKpure (analogous to the play market, and built into the stock firmware), everything that requires updates (menu at the top).
reboot the box several times, then everything will be ok”

The above from 4pda - I do not know if it will solve your problem

The problems I am experiencing happens before I mod the case and the heatsink.

I had the components, so I did a proof of concept. I connected an old USB 2 cord to a 5 volt fan that I had on hand. Temporarily, attached the fan to the box, temp dropped from 95 degrees C to 75C. IF, I get the motivation, I will connect the wires to the main board and cut a hole in the top of the box and install the fan. Same thing I did 4 years ago on a couple of Mecool boxes.
The fan is super quiet, no need to install resistors to slow the fan.

s.

The CoreELEC developers have worked wonders on this device. It works fantastic for me, however, like most of these boxes, they change hardware on a whim.

A lot of people that purchase this device are not happy, because that company used different ethernet hardware, that is not supported by CE.

So it is a crap shoot, on whether you get a supported device or not.