Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

I bought a same box today and the seller agreed to send me a stock Android image when the box delivered. I’ll try to extract the Android dtb, either from the firmware he’ll send me, or from emmc directly

Thanks for trying. Really appreciate it. Have to wait until further until it can support mecool box

It’s locked so only a request to the vendor will help I guess.

All I get with this dtb is a black screen.
Also, I have a new entry that I don’t recall seeing before… “FSCK0000.REC”, there are 2 of them

The LED never worked with your CoreELEC OS on this box.

Edit: Please disregard the message about the back screen. I left the box running with the black screen on my TV, while I responded to these text. When I went back to the TV, it was on the main screen…
So, now more testing.

What specifically need from a new box? All of the newer Mecool boxes will have a locked bootloader, so it can never run CoreELEC. I have been buying these “cheap Chinese” for about 10 years now, that is my hobby.

This HK1 is by far the best of the ones that I have tried, over the years. Of course it does NOT support Widevine Level 1, so protected apps will not play or will only play in DVD quality. I don’t think there is or ever will be a device with all the DRM certificates that will ever run CoreELEC.

I stated out with OpenELEC, then LibreELEC, then CoreELEC. OF course CoreELEC banned me.

My review of the HK1

I think there is a stock img on Freaktab, but I never tried it. I love to swap firmware’s, but the firmware on this box is sooo, good, I use it.
https://forum.freaktab.com/node/829168

The power LED is working perfectly now… Amazing…
As, I continue to test, the Videos with the VC-1 video codec will NOT show the video, but the audio is there. Also, it is maxing all CPU cores.

I’ve extracted dtb from the image in link posted by @clarkss12 and it is luckily in plain single-dtb format! I’ve uploaded the corresponding dtb partition, dtbo partition, dtb, and decompiled dts:

Hi Clarks

Thanks for you efforts
I have a device looks as a clone of yours.
How I can know if is compatible without brick It?

Thanks in advance

You are correct, your Transpeed is a sister to the HK1. It is almost impossible to brick these devices, but if you do, there is a firmware that you can use to bring it back to life…

Using a microSD card for another OS, be it, Linux, CoreELEC, etc, does not make any changes to your existing OS that is running on your box. So, grab a microSD card and run this CoreELEC OS. In other words, you can NOT brick a device by running another OS from a microSD card or pen drive.

1 Like

With the latest dtb.img, the “power reboot” function is not working. It locks up the box, so I have cycle power by removing the power plug.

Besides the “power reboot” function not working, does everything else work?

I mean when power down from Kodi menu does it stay powered down? So you need to manually power it on again.

On reboot it should reboot.

And the led is now powerd? That’s just luck…

I got one of these boxes to play with and I couldn’t get it to boot from SD card or external emmc but booting from USB CE comes up. I can browse the card with the Android recovery

I cannot get wired networking with the latest CE dtb or ugoos

For me with my HID remote, the power light works On power on via the remote on there is a countdown but I can read the linux boot because the splash covers the screen (latest nightly) However using the power button on the remote I don’t get the Kodi dialog, it just shuts down and the standby light is on.

Right now, from my testing, only the lack of the VC-1 playback is an issue.

1 Like

Yes, it stays powered down. Yes, the power LED turns blue, like it supposed to do. When powered off the LED is red…

That is strange. They have two versions, one with gigabit Ethernet and one with fast ethernet, which did you get??

It said 1000M on order page but it is was confusing since it was 10/1000m I guess my switch just shows 2.5 and not 2.5. My Androd iperf3 numbers are around 600Mb so I maybe am ok

It really should not have mattered, except the Ethernet may not have worked…
I am going to ask you a question that you may find insulting…
When you used a tooth pick to depress the reset button inside the A/V hole, you did hear and feel it click?
Also, you did remove the power plug, then insert the tooth pick into the hole and keep holding it for at least 15 seconds AFTER you plugged your power cord back into the box. I just use one of the round tooth picks with the pointed end clipped off.

I am making an assumption that you have done this a lot??

No insult taken. I didn’t use the toothpick I used adb reboot update.

In fact Ethernet is not working.