Request @bumerc for new gxm_q201_3G_1Gb ethernet

Can you make new gxm_q201 dtb.img for CE.8.90.3?
Bacause with gxm_q201 in device_trees I have no ethernet again, and with gxm_q200 I have problem with shutdown/rebooting?

adamg has promised to add these changes with the release of 8.90.3. Apparently it has been forgotten. I look what I can do.

@bumerc If you could open a PR for the changes here, that would be great.

1 Like

Apologies to both of you but I have been extremely busy and haven’t had the time, I did look at making a compatible dtb that would play nice with our build system with the changes from @bumerc with the patches he provided, however I could not use them in their raw form as we don’t patch dtbs but rather create them from templates.

I’m more than happy to accept the dtb’s into the build system if you want to submit a PR.

1 Like

Hello everybody,
I’ll probably have to read the GitHub stuff first, as I’ve never done it before. Everything I’ve done so far was meant only for my private projects and purposes. Hobby… :slight_smile:

Git and GitHub do have a bit of a learning curve.
If you don’t want to do it, please attach the patch again and I’ll look into adding it into the device trees repo.

I already attached the patch file
here

Thanks for the link. I’ll try to add to the repo it this week.

What kind of issue do you have with shutdown/reboot?

I have a mecool kiii pro which has S912, 3g of memory and 1gb lan (or atleast it claims to have) and I’ve been using gxm_q200_k3_pro.dtb. It’s works otherwise well but more than half the time when I reboot (either over ssh or via kodi menu) I have to plug out the power cord, keep the reset/power button in while plugging in the power cable in order to boot into CE. Otherwise it either gets stuck at Mecool logo or there is no signal between CE and my TV, and it’s not booting at all. (Or possibly it doesn’t even go down properly) It just all seems random.

After upgrade 8.90.3 I noticed another scenario where the display is black (signal is there) and the box boots up, I can ssh into it and run another reboot to get the picture on tv.(Restarting kodi service over ssh does not help)

Does this sound like a dtb issue or it’s just a “chinese box” issue? Could either of the other dtbs work better for me or work at all?

My issue with X92_S912 q201_3g mem, 1gb lan box is nothing like yours, and I use a different dtb.img

Using gxm_q201_3g everything works perfect except ethernet.

Using gxm_q200_3g everything works perfect until I want to turn the box off, or reboot. It takes some patience because the shutdown process lasts more than 2 minutes. Randomly when I choose reboot it will eventually (after 2+ min) shut down but not boot again. Only turning the power off/on brings the box back to life.
So not a big issue and I can live with it…

Thanks for taking the time and clarifying, I did get the part that you are running different dtb image on different box. I was just curious about the reboot/shutdown issues.

The second issue is probably exactly one of the scenarios happening to me on reboot. I could not explain it well enough above, on the other hand I can’t really determine if the box shuts down on a reboot or if it’s trying to do something. I’ve have probably never shutdown mine so I haven’t ran into the 2 minute issue.

It’s not really a big issue for me either since CE is pretty stable on my setup. I’ve just been debugging some other issues lately and I’ve been rebooting more often than normal, just in case.

@Sholander @Rascal
Please check out the attached DTBs.
Could you please confirm that everything works, including 1Gbit ethernet speeds?
gxm_q201_1gbit.zip (21.4 KB)

• These DTBs are intended for Q201 boards with 1Gigabit Ethernet.

If they work correctly, they will be added to our future builds, and will be included in the device-trees folder.

Thanks for your efforts, I’m on a different base and 1Gb works for me.
I’m sure Sholander is more than happy to test it out though.

A quick test → works OK.
Ethernet works with correct speed. WiFi works with correct speed. Front display works. Boot/reboot works normaly… All tested on overclocked GPU:

Using username “root”.
root@192.168.1.104’s password:
##############################################

CoreELEC

https://coreelec.org

##############################################

CoreELEC (official): 8.90.3 (S912.arm)
CoreELEC:~ # cat /proc/device-tree/le-dt-id
gxm_q201_3g_1gbitCoreELEC:~ #
CoreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq
CoreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/net/eth0/speed
CoreELEC:~ #

That’s awesome! Thanks for testing, glad to see that it’s working.
Looks promising. I’m going to wait for some more feedback before merging in the changes.