Resolution Whitelist When Display Not Detected At Boot Time

Not sure if I’d call this a bug or not, but definitely a case where I’m hoping there’s a solution. In short, if the display is not detected by the time CoreELEC boots, the whitelist of available resolutions seems to default to only up to 1080p.

For example, in my theater, I have a JVC RS600 projector, which is pretty slow to boot, even by projector standards. As such, it seems even though my ODroid is the last device booted in the startup sequence, it still is far enough along in the boot process that it only has up to 1080p in the available resolutions whitelist. If I reboot the ODroid after the projector is up, it seems to detect everything right and all the resolutions appear (and luckily are selected).

I can probably edit the theater startup sequence to add a pause before starting the ODroid, but barring that, is there a way to have CoreELEC update the available resolutions when the display is detected or something along that line? Seems this could also be a challenge if you had multiple displays connected to an AVR (like a projector and tv for example).

Checkout this topic:

An EDID emulator for your projector can hopefully solve your startup delay also.

Interesting read. In my case, the only display attached to my AVR is the projector (I made reference to the TV thinking about the scenario), so I’m assuming the AVR (Denon X5200W) has a default EDID of 1080p when it hasn’t completed handshake with a display yet.

I’m going to check out the disp_cap file and see if I can apply that solution.

I’m also adding a 5 second delay before the ODroid power on signal is sent to see if that’s enough time for the projector to handshake with the avr.

The usecase of the HDMI EDID emulator in your case would be to clone the EDID of the projector, and then put it between Projector and AVR.
It will be instantly available on the AVR output after powerup, even when the projector is not up or disconnected, providing the capabilities to AVR (& CE). No need for delays.

Yeah, I get it, just trying to avoid that route for the moment. I’ve got a 30’ run from AVR to projector, so 4k bandwidth is already pretty tight (not using a signal amp or optical conversion but signal is close to me needing to), not keen on adding more connection points. Though I suppose I could add it to the second monitor slot for the same effect without risking any degradation on projector signal run.

In my particular use case, as I only have the one display source to worry about, it seems the disp_cap idea would work. Barring that, I’ll go down the emulator route.