RetroArch Kodi add-on for CoreELEC

Now I did a test with controller started before launching the addon.

== Scenario A: BT controller is off, RA addon is started ==
Turn on BT controller, while RA menus are shown - input from remote and controller are totally ignored (as described before). BT controller must be turned off to reacquire the control over menus.

== Scenario B: BT controller is turned on while in Kodi (where it works also), RA addon is started ==
All seems to be working fine.

Controller is 8bitDo SN30 pro.

You can try again scenario A launching RA manually from SSH with retroarch.start while in Kodi, and see what is prompted when you turn on the BT controller.
Also enable DEBUG level in retroarch logs and check if anything is there at the same point.
I would also try while in RA to remove the BT device and pair / trust it again as explained here.

Nothing shows up in console when the controller connects. Inside log I seem to only be getting “info”-level messages:

[INFO] [udev]: Pad #0 (/dev/input/event5) supports 0 force feedback effects.
[INFO] [Autoconf]: 8Bitdo SN30 Pro configured in port 1.

DEBUG level needs to be set in retroarch settings.

Have you tried to remove the controller from bluetoothctl while in the addon and pair/trust again as per link in my previous post?
You can also launch bluetoothctl and see if anything strange is prompted while you turn on the controller while in retroarch.

No debug messages appear when connecting the controller. Haven’t tried pairing in the addon yet and this is what I get in systemd log:

Aug 30 11:11:50 HOST kernel: hid-generic 0005:2DC8:6101.0007: unknown main item tag 0x0
Aug 30 11:11:50 HOST kernel: input: 8Bitdo SN30 Pro as /devices/platform/ff500000.dwc3/xhci-hcd.0.auto/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:12/0005:2DC8:6101.0007/input/input17
Aug 30 11:11:50 HOST kernel: hid-generic 0005:2DC8:6101.0007: input,hidraw1: BLUETOOTH HID v1.00 Gamepad [8Bitdo SN30 Pro] on 5c:f3:70:8a:c4:9f
Aug 30 11:11:50 HOST (udev-worker)[12389]: event5: Process '/usr/bin/evrepeat -d 500 /dev/input/event5' failed with exit code 1.

Note that the same set of messages appear when controller is started while running Kodi (hence it’s likely not really helpful).

v1.6.5 available here or through updater.

• Update RetroArch to 1.16.0.3
  • Update ScummVM core to latest
  • Add Brazilian Portuguese translation, thanks to @xgrind
  • Add RetroArch assets check and hint
  • Drop Kronos core

Is there any repository so that the addon can be updated using normal means, instead of downloading the ZIP manually every time?

I noticed the addon has some version checks/updater, but will this update the whole addon or just the cores? I think the Kodi way is better.

The internal updater will update the entire addon.
If you want to update the single cores or bins, you will need to build manually from source for this platform (and sometimes patch, ref to addon build script source), and upload to the device, as compiled items are not available in libretro repositories.
That is why the cores are packaged with the addon and the retroarch core online updater (which already exists) is disabled.

This add-on supported the general koid environment on Android TV?

If not, is it possible?

No, this addon is made for coreelec. It can be adapted to any linux distro, but not android. That would require to redesign the entire thing from scratch I guess, including the build system.

Will the RetroArch addon also be available for Kodi 21 one day? I once tested the Nigthly Almogic-no(NewOrder) for my Soc → SC2 S905X4 (CoreELEC-Amlogic-no.aarch64-21.0-Omega_nightly_20240110-Generic.img). The RetroArch addon (1.16.0.3) was installed successfully but as soon as I start RetroArch there is a black screen and Kodi starts again. Nothing is entered in the Kodi log either. Thanks and cheers

1 Like

I found the following in the Journal-cur.log:

Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: Started retroarch.service.
Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo kodi.sh[1961]: Running as unit: retroarch.service; invocation ID: 3937a6aad9c64f3f88b8f451bc040526
Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: Stopping kodi.service...
Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo kernel: asoc-aml-card auge_sound: TDM[2] Playback stop
Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo kernel: aml_tdm_hw_setting_free(), disable mclk for tdm-2
Jan 18 20:54:24 HattoriHanzo kernel: frddrs[0] released by device fe330000.audiobus:i2s2hdmi
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo kodi.sh[1396]: /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.sh: line 168:  1402 Hangup                  /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin ${ENV_ARGS} ${SAVED_ARGS}
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: kodi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=129/n/a
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: kodi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: Stopped kodi.service.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo kernel: enable display/debug to set voutmode.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo retroarch.start[2014]: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/retroarch.start: line 87: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/retroarch: cannot execute: required file not found
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: Started cec-kb.service.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo retroarch.start[2021]: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/retroarch.start: line 296: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/retroarch: cannot execute: required file not found
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo (-mini-kb)[2020]: cec-kb.service: Failed to execute /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/cec-mini-kb: No such file or directory
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: cec-kb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: cec-kb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo retroarch.start[2024]: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/retroarch.start: line 119: /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin/xbox360-controllers-shutdown: cannot execute: required file not found
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo kernel: enable display/debug to set voutmode.
Jan 18 20:54:25 HattoriHanzo systemd[1]: Starting kodi.service...

But if i look in the folder /storage/.kodi/addons/script.retroarch.launcher.Amlogic-ng.arm/bin all files are there. A little weird.

09_Journal-cur.log (157.0 KB)

Yes, it’s in my plans, as soon as I will have some spare time to set up the environment to test it.
Current release (for Amlogic-ng) will not work as it is built for arm, while for Amlogic-no aarch64 is needed.
Basically the addon will just need to be built passing ARCH=aarch64 and maybe few other minor adjustments.

1 Like

Oh yes, great, you’re continuing RetroArch to the next generation. Thank you for your work.

1 Like

I have already set the remote path for the ROMs, but it only shows the local path “/storage/roms”. Do I need to configure anything else in “smb.conf”?
It currently looks like this: Ubuntu Pastebin

CoreELEC can access.

So the share should be ok.

What are the relevant settings in the addon options?
I assume the feature is activated and user/password are correct.
In that case I would try different values for SMB protocol version in the options.

You can also launch the addon from SSH with retroarch.start -v and check if there is any error message.

v1.7.0 available here or through updater.

• Switch to Lakka-v5.x build system
  • Add Amlogic-no.aarch64 build
  • Update RetroArch to 1.17.0
  • Update all cores per Lakka sources
  • Misc fixes
2 Likes

Hi @spleen1981
Thank you so much to make the Addon Amlogic-no.aarch64 compatible. I tested it today. However, it doesn’t show me the games consoles and my roms after the scan. I think it’s because the cores are not available. When I go to Load Core, it shows directory not found, even though all cores are preinstalled in the lib/libretro path.
I then tested the whole thing with Amlogic-ng-build and there it shows the cores and therefore also my game consoles with my roms after the directory scan.
Can you reproduce the problem or am I doing something wrong?
Cheers and thanks for your help

Are you using your previous retroarch.cfg from the old Amlogic-ng.arm installation?
If that is the case you can remove it and a new working one will be created. Or you can change manually all paths pointing to the old Amlogic-ng.arm to the new Amlogic-no.aarch64.
I assume you have installed the entire aarch64 addon package, including all cores and stuff.

1 Like

Oh dear…you were absolutely right. It was probably because I had previously installed the amlogic-ng version.
retroarch.cfg deleted and now everything works. Thank you very much…