Rikomagic RK25 and CoreELEC

Is it possible to install or run CoreELEC on Rikomagic RK25?

If there isn’t any bootloader locked, it should be working, why not? Try it on SD card.

Unfortunately, I tried both with SDcard and USB. Probably the bootloader does not support such a solution. I was uploading a different image to Beelink (same processor) unfortunately it didn’t help either.

Can you post a link to the device page/shop?

Is it Rikomagic MK25?

http://www.rikomagic.com/en/product/showpro_id_104_pid_20.html

Can you tell which version you have?

I suggest trying some, if not all, of the other S922X .dtb, even if they seem incompatible, just to see if one works or at least partially boots. I doubt there’s a risk of bricking the box by doing so.

Here is a list with dtb’s and their corresponding SoC supported by CE: CoreELEC - Device Trees. There are several S922X listed.

Some feedback:

• I have seen older devices unable to read above 16Gb, therefore please ensure the boot media remains within the manufacturers specified size limit. In my experience most of the OTV devices, except maybe some early first generation ones, should be able to handle 2-16Gb (m)SD Cards and USB Flash Drives without issues.

• Also please ensure all partitions have been removed from the installation media prior to burning the disk image onto it. I have encountered situations where boot was prevented due to an unreadable partition from a different OS.

S922X is SoC type G12B. So flash an CoreELEC image to uSD/USB and look into folder device_trees and take the one matching best.

Yes indeed. 2GB/16GB version.

Thanks for the information. The 16GB Goodram SD cards I used work properly on Odroid N2 +. I also tested 2GB, I also tried image files from this manufacturer. While preparing the SD penalty, I have already checked all dbt files. Is it possible that the RK25 image bootloader may not support booting from SD?

Sure. When the bootloader is locked.

Can you boot to android and use an app to get all the information about your device?

Have you tried the Reboot to LibreELEC Android app with a prepared card? Ive had a couple of devices over the years where that was the only option to get the device to initially boot to CE from a uSD.

It certainly is a possibility, considering the efforts you’ve made even likely. There might be ways to unlock the bootloader, but that would be a question for a different forum.

Yes I have. But after reset it stops on logo Amlogic S922X - original logo when Android starts. I can’t boot to android even after plug out - plug in power cord until i remove SD card - then i can boot to android either

I also have this box, it sells on aliexpress by different name, S78

Owing on posts on forum, 4gb versions have no problems with coreelec, for example, x88_king_rev_a is compartible.
2gb version - all dtb files included in coreelec, are not compartible, box just freeses on logo.
Ive also tried nightly images of libreelec (kodi 20 alpha), and found dtb able to boot device - odroid-n2.dtb but unfortunately, usb ports are not powered, and not working. Weird, that dtb with the same name included in CE doesn’t boot device.
Could someone help please? I’ve bought this box just to use CE, but it was suprise that 2gb version won’t be compartible with CE
here’s aida 64 report to thix box https://pastebin.com/raw/hb7yqh3r

Try to extract Android dtb
Maybe it’s possible to dump it from Android console.
Or you have a Android image for this box?

I’ve tried old CE 9.2.8 , with odroidN2.dtb and was able to boot CE.
Everything seems to work, except Wifi and Lan, but it’s ok, as usb dongles are supported. Managed to extract android dtb,
Can’t boot with this dtb with Matrix and Nexus builds of CE
Any help would be appreciated
Weird why I can’t boot with dtb of the same name (odroidN2.dtb) with matrix/nexus builds

yes, here’s the link if it help somehow

found that odroidN2.dtb from 9.2.8 is working in matrix/nexus builds!
2 problems : no wifi and Lan IP is incorrect , but all the other is working.

I’ve attached android dtb and odroidN2.dtb if someone with better understanding than mine would help.
This could be perfect coreelec box, 2/16 is enough, price is lowest on market(about $70…80), metal case, no overheating, external wifi antennas.This is a way better than other cheap boxes.

android_dtb.zip (46.9 KB)
odroidN2_dtb_9.2.8.zip (16.4 KB)
I’ve solved Lan problem by using USB Lan dongle.

OMG @rix81 You’ve saved my month, I’m crazy trying to make emuelec work on my s78 tv box, and this dtb you’ve shared worked here for me. Thank you very much.

How did you find out that this dtb was working? Just by testing one by one?

Well, I bought this box, too, to replace my X96 pro+, after seeing this post, i thought: matrix and nexus seem to work, great.
@rix81 your DTB works fine, but: just for legacy CE 9.2.8 here, with ethernet dongle and no wifi.
If i want to update or clean install to CE Matrix or Nexus (stable or nightly), my box either is stuck at Amlogic logo, or it bootloops.

Anyone got an idea how to boot these matrix builds? I am trying to run CE from USB or MicroSD, (re)placing odroidN2.dtb from 9.2.8 wont help. Btw: Ive disassambled the box, there is a lot of plastic inside the metal, SOC heatsink is ~2,8 x 2,8 x 0,5cm

Edit: after some more testing, i can tell: CE 19.4 and 19.4_rc2 will bootloop. All other (19.2_rc3 and later) are booting fine with your dtb.iso from 9.2.8.
Strange

confirm. Hope someone would make dtb compartible with CE versions higher than 19.3