[S922X-H] Bee-link GS-King X

I do have a problem with CEC : it keeps sending a signal an active signal to the tv.
I mean, I cannot get the TV to remain in standby while having the box on (when using spotifyd for instance, but not watching tv).

Check libCEC settings in Kodi. There is a option to turn on/off such features.

thanks, this is what I did.
but I wanted to stress the fact that I hadn’t this issue with the gt-king : i guess there is a firmware issue here.

You can compare (lib)CEC only on SAME boxes/devices, because CEC implementation is a little bit different on almost every device including TVs. If it works one way on some box/tv combination it does NOT mean that it will behave the same for any other combination!

Sure, but in this case, the DTB is the same between the GT-King and GS-King X.
This tends to proove that the board inside these boxes are pretty similar, doesn’t it ?

libCEC is not affected by the used CoreELEC device. It’s a software solution only.
On 9.2.1 libCEC 4.0.4 was used, on 9.2.2 libCEC 4.0.5 and now on 9.2.3 it got downgraded again to 4.0.4 as the 4.0.5 doesn’t work properly and cause more issues as it will solve.
The only diff is the TV/AVR part.
Every brand and type of TV have a own firmware and his own CEC handling and errors. So you can never be sure if CEC works with LG as example that it also works with Panasonic.

Nice example:

Same brand different type, CEC is working only on one TV.

I have a working jellyfin and nextcloud both on docker which is running on H5 aarch64 and I am very happy with it.

I wonder how smooth it will be on this beast.[quote=“Ray, post:63, topic:11634”]
I doubt this box will be a hit.
[/quote]
It can be a hit if they provide the right software along with it. Just how synology have done with their low end product line running on an armv7 soc.

Btw IDK how many have seen the teardown video, I saw somewhere that it have A311D instead of S922X-H, I know they’re mostly similar but then A311D have the NPU which might be of no use in this box.

I am still not sure of how usefull this box will be until I get a stable os working on it.

I did again some networking benchs after the upgrade to 904P0 firmware and I’m getting a very good speed when doing some scp from the GT-King to the GS-King X (around 90MB/s), I guess that the slowlyness issue is now gone.

The team currently beginning to receive the samples from Beelink and the analysis is started already.

• FAN: it looks like it’s not a real PWM fan and it can’t be controlled sensible. This will need more tests.

• The front LEDs in the skull are controlled by system voltage, not by GPIO.
    So the only way to “disable” the front LEDs is to pull off the connection cable of the LEDs.
    Just remove the insert HDDs and you should be able to access the cable. Just pull it down until the connection is open. This apply for hardware revision X-HD-V2.0-/A.

2 Likes

So you basically have the fan always running but if that doesn’t annoy you enough it will also keep shining in your eyes :rofl:

…and you can hear the HDD from inside…

There is a new android firmware available on Beelink’s homepage: http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=69789&extra=page%3D1

Thanks for the feedback.

Without any HDD plugged, would you say that the fan is noisy or not ?

I didn’t try to remove the fan to check if it has bearings. l believe this noise comes from rotation contact (without bearing), not from the air flow.

A side note regarding the firmware update, I did apply it without any issue and CoreELEC is working fine with it.

No there is no noise from the fan until you get very close to it.
Looks like the fan are run at 3.3v just for a stable airflow as s922x don’t really get to hot and with such a big heatsink it just need good ventilation to keep the temps under control.

When using nightly image and correct dtb the fan is off until 60°C are reached. Then it rotate with like half speed. After hitting 75°C the fan use max speed.
Also the last nightly brings a feature in CE setting to park the HDD on power off/suspend and also to idle the disk.

2 Likes

To bad it’s this expansive, judging by the specs, it could very well be quite a selfhosting server on CoreELEC.

The case is nice and gives opportunity to cram in whatever the future might bring. The skull is a bit off-putting, but each to their own.

Is the last firmware (905P0) mandatory for running CE 9.2.4.1 ? My box is stucked at boot screen after applying the update and opting for the GS King dtb file that comes with it.

Please try the GT King rev a dtb. When it works a new dtb in 9.2.4.2 will be added for GS King X, rev a.
It looks like Beelink have sent the first prototypes with SoC rev a instead of rev b.

Yes, the GT King rev A dtb indeed works. Thanks

edit: I’m able to boot with the rev A dtb from the gsking included in 9.2.4.2 too.

1 Like

I’m using an old Philips LCD tv for which the RGB 8-bit color scheme needs to be used (or the screen becomes blueish/greenish).

Portish helped me with that (with a Beelink GT King) by suggesting to add
echo rgb,8bit > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
in the autostart.sh file.
It worked on the GT-King and on the GS-King as well.

Since I updated to firmware 905P0 and CoreELEC-9.2.4.2, it seems that the setting is somehow overwritten as the screen will get blueish/greenish from time to time (but not at boot) on my GS-King X.

Was something changed at CoreELEC regarding this ?

Some information:
CoreELEC:~ # dmesg | grep hdmitx | grep video
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: init=/init console=ttyS0,115200 no_console_suspend earlycon=aml-uart,0xff803000 ramoops.pstore_en=1 ramoops.record_size=0x8000 ramoops.console_size=0x4000 otg_device=1 reboot_mode_android=normal logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 vout=1080p60hz,enable panel_type=lcd_1 hdmitx=,444,8bit hdmimode=1080p60hz frac_rate_policy=1 hdmi_read_edid=1 cvbsmode=576cvbs osd_reverse=0 video_reverse=0 irq_check_en=0 androidboot.selinux=permissive androidboot.firstboot=0 jtag=disable androidboot.hardware=amlogic androidboot.serialno=922H0H1000068 mac=c4:4e:ac:b3:ab:7b androidboot.mac=c4:4e:ac:b3:ab:7b androidboot.rpmb_state=1 BOOT_IMAGE=kernel.img boot=LABEL=COREELEC disk=LABEL=STORAGE console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend hdmimode=1080p60hz logo=osd0,loaded,0x3d800000 frac_rate_policy=0 native_4k_gui=0 progress systemd.show_status=auto

CoreELEC:~ # cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
rgb,8bit

I’m using the workaround described here:

It’s nice to see that besides a good SoC, good sound is also available (especially for retroELEC in coreELEC). And also the cooling has been thought of (which usually saves money).
The possibility to install HDDs internally to create a compact media centre that is also efficient is nice, as are the update intervals, even if you can’t see the Android interface anymore…

But there are also things that are still important to know. Is video transcoding supported under Emby/Plex/jellyfin server (coreELEC Docker or Andoid apk) ? Is it possible to wake up the “box” ?
What about the temperature of the HDDs ? …it looks as if the SoC is additionally heating up the HDDs…there is no airflow, the fan only cools the SoC board…
These are important questions, because otherwise even an “old” Intel Atom would be sufficient… smb share is no longer a big challenge even for a 20€ SoC…