[S922X] MINIX NEO U22-XJ unstable Lan speeds

Hi guys.
I have the latest Core elec version installed and I have a problem with my Ethernet speeds.

This is my #ethtool -i eth0 output:
driver: st_gmac
version: Jan_2016
firmware-version:
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info:
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

and this is my #ethtool eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: ug
Wake-on: d
Current message level: 0x0000003f (63)
drv probe link timer ifdown ifup
Link detected: yes

I dont really mind the slow speeds (30mb/sec) as much as that it’s not stable.
What I mean is that for the first 10 seconds of transfers files from my pc to the MINIX, the speed is high (30-35mb/sec probably of the SD card although it is rated for 80-90mb/sec speeds) after that the speed drops to 0-1.2mb/sec for a few seconds and then goes back up again.
The same motive is followed until the rest of the file is transferred, keeps going up and down.
This is a major problem when I try to watch a movie through SMB share that is a large size (50gb)… it keeps caching.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1 Like

It’s likely your SD card. Try iperf to measure actual network speed.
Our team members have this device, and no one had any problems with network speed.

You might be right @TheCoolest!
I checked the card and wasn’t the one I thought so I ordered a new proper one U3 with 160 mb read and 90mb write.
Should be fine after that.

Thanks again!

Hi @TheCoolest!

So I bought a new MicroSD card which is rated at 160mb/s read and 90mb/sec write.
I tested it and it does 70mb/sec write.
So I transferred Core Elec there and things got a bit better but not much… I have the same problem when transferring files through SMB. Speeds reach 30mb/sec for a few second then goes up and down from 30-5mb/sec until the file finishes transferring.
The strange thing is that if I try to copy something back from the media player to the pc the speed has no ups and downs and speed is constant at 29mb/sec.
I think it might be a caching problem… is there a way to increase memory caching on Core Elec?
Also as an alternative is there a way to tell kodi to cache 1 minute of movie before it start? That way there wont be any interference from the unstable speeds.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.

Never mind about the kodi cache… I found out how :smiley: thanks

Hi @TheCoolest.

You told me that lots of you guys have this box and you dont have this problem.
Did you install core elec on the device memory or on a SD card?
Maybe if I install core elec on the device instead of the memory card I won’t have this problem?

Please help a guy out :slight_smile:

I don’t copy large files to my devices, especially when using SD cards as boot media.
Installing to internal should be make a significant difference when writing files to the device, but in the U22-XJ’s case, I have CE running from a SD card, so I can’t give you any first hand experience with it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.