Slow down of Hyperion.ng

Hi,

As I don’t get any slowdown with CE 8.90.4 I attached my Hyperion.ng configuration
hyperion.config.json (67.6 KB)

Do you use an external grabber?

From the above config you can check that I do not.

Did you also test with the stable hyperion?

Hyperion.ng is the stable version of hyperion…

is it offial released by the hyperion team?

@danielfmo would you mind posting your arduino sketch as well?
Would like to check for differences.

Thanks

@danielfmo : which Amlogic device are you using?

i have matched your config settings on my Odriod C2 and are still experiencing slowdowns - does the dirty regions thing need to be used too?

Kind regards,
Z.

Hi,

I’m using arduino sketch from here:

with an Arduino Micro, based on ATmega32U4 set to 2000000 baud rate. ATmega328 based arduinos are not powerful enough. I have 224 APA102 LEDs with a 10A power supply.

I have dirty regions set to 3 on CE 8.90.4 on my ODROID C2.

Thank you. That’s very helpful!

@danielfmo Thanks, that’s Interesting, I’m using an Arduino Uno clone with WS2801 strip.

My sketch looks nothing like yours.

Perhaps that is not a good combination …

There are a lot of different Arduino sketches that work, but that one is delivered with Hyperion and validated by it’s developers. And I vow that it is good enough to drive 224 SPI leds…

1 Like

@danielfmo So I reworked my Hyperion.ng configuration and switched to your sketch from my previous one, also I have changed my Arduino UNO to Arduino Micro and unfortunately I still get the slow downs on my KIII Pro.

I’m wondering if the smoothing frequency or other frequency configuration could have anything to do with this issue…

I did the same things. Replaced sketch, upgraded to a micro, using the same hyperion.ng config as Daniel except for the led amount and unfortunately still have slow downs.
Strange…

@danielfmo, please tell us a little bit more about your media storage. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I am running the emby for kodi plugin and have my media stored on an unRAID server that runs emby server and shares the media files through samba to my odroid-c2. All connected through gigabit ethernet. I am playing my media with the direct paths option. So no transcoding happening.

What is strange as well is that I was streaming the world cup games through the “orf” addon in kodi. It’s my countries TV station and they have a livestream feature. I had no slowdowns while streaming the world cup games.

Will next try watch something that is stored locally on the emmc storage of my odroid-c2.

I have w2812b LEDs connected, Daniel has 4wire LEDs connected, could this be a factor?

I don’t think it has anything to do with storage type. I get the slowdowns both when I’m playing files from my Synology NAS via smb and Live TV via TVHeadend.

Also LED type shouldn’t be a factor here. I got 205 APA102 which are also 4wire LEDs with clock and data lines.

Maybe it’s because of frequency rates or some kind of buffer that’s filling after some time causing slow downs

There is a new version 8.90.5. In this version, the nougat kernel by @kszaq was returned. Has anyone already updated to this version? Slowdown on this core, too, are observed?

I will upgrade tonight and hopefully find time to test the new release.

Unfortunately still getting slow downs on 8.90.5.
Frustrating, is there anything we can do to help fixing this? Logs?!

Hi,

I’m sorry if I got you wrong or the other way around but I never wanted to say that I don’t get slowdowns due to the arduino sketch that I’m using.

I posted the sketch because I was asked to, and my setup (Arduino Micro + sketch) is recommended in order to avoid flickering. Not slowdowns.

The cause of the slowdowns is in the Kernel, and that was mentioned multiple times on this thread and many other places. No one knows for sure what causes the slowdowns, other than is it in the amlogic screen grabber.

To avoid this issue RedPanther from Hyperion.ng team and CrashOverride did implement another grabbing method, an GE2D API, in the Hardkernel’s Odroid C2 kernel but I was not able to successfully port it to the OSMC kernel.

Indeed for a long time I didn’t had slowdowns on my Odroid C2 with CE 8.90.4 but they come back recently, that makes me believable that the slowdowns are related to the kind of content being displayed. (codec, bit rate, etc)

Now that we returned to kszaq’s kernel there is a chance that the GE2D API may work, but at the moment I have no time to try to port it.

If any of you is motivated enough to try it please let me know.

1 Like

Hi, than I misunderstood you. I don’t regret changing sketches and buying the micro at all, don’t get me wrong.

I was always under the impression that you didn’t have ANY slowdowns at all.

At least we are sitting all in the same boat :smile:

I am sorry, I can’t help you coding, but I gladly test everything you or anybody throws at us!