Smartmontools at S905X

Hello i wait now a long time for a S.M.A.R.T. Addon but i think it will never come. In the past you say me here somthing about the console tool “smartmontools” to take a look about my HDD health in my 4Bay that hangs on my S905 Box.

After i fix the API for the YT Addon and last night the Buffer i wont to explore this problem now.

My question is can you please say me how i can use smartmontools at the box or is this only possible at the PC over putty?

Please can you say me the hole / correct commands to use smartmontools over putty?
i have no skills i know only “ls -all” “cd /…” and “exit” :smiley: im a total Putty Coreelec noob sorry.

greets

You can’t use it from within the Kodi GUI, so you indeed need to connect to your box with ssh.
Here is a very detailed manual for smartmontools:
https://www.smartmontools.org/browser/trunk/smartmontools/smartctl.8.in

1 Like

You know the right Dir how the Addon is?

greetz

As soon as you installed it with entware, it will be located somewhere in /opt/.
You probably don’t need to define the full path to execute it, because it should be included in the PATH variable.

1 Like

okay its done, but very complicate. to use SMART i must use the extra “-d sat” in Front. After this it shows all i fine so far :slight_smile:

is it possible to become a warn message over this “smartd”? if i understand it right this smartd is a background service, right? For example a HDD have a SMART error, realocated sector or so, so i become a warning or something and when yes how i find this warning or show Kodi it at the screen?

greetz

You could use smartd to send mail notifications for any configured events.

A bit more complicated is displaying it in the GUI.
You would need to write a bash script for it, which is being triggered by smartd.
The script could send a predefined alert messages containing the identified value to Kodi using the json rpc method:

curl -v -H "Accept: application/json" -H "Content-type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"id":1,"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"GUI.ShowNotification","params":{"title":"Title","message":"Here is the message"}}' http://localhost:8080/jsonrpc

But this solution involves a bit of bash scripting knowledge.
There are a lot of resources in the internet to learn from.
I can promise you: You won’t regret it and you can automate a lot of stuff with some lines of bash scripting once you get used to it.

1 Like