SMB - shares not showing in CE BUT they do in Non-CE

I have a WD MyBookLive NAS and I have had no issues with being unable to see shares and the device appearing.

I think we would of heard about this before if it was an issue given the amount of users who use Samba.

What can i say @anon88919003 ? Its what i see and every other non ce kodi sees it as SMB …

This could be related to my hardware i guess but when the hw is booted into Android it all works…

It’s probably a configuration issue on the NAS then as CoreELEC is packed with the latest version of Samba, those WD NAS drives you can SSH into and change anything as they run Debian under the hood.

If your now using NFS though then I would stick to using that as it performs better.

Yeah I configured it all as NFS and tbh the library updates run like a dog when compared to Android on the same box and it usually hangs at some point as well.

Just thinking that CE doesn’t like this hardware to be frank …

I may burn a new image to an SD card and see if anything changes but frustrating that it’s fine on Android but not on CE on exactly the same h/w …

Aarrghhhjjj …

Hi Gerkin,

Like adamg said, I also support that it seems the problem is in your setup, not CE.

I have CE 8.95 on Vorke Z6 Plus S912 and my shares are on a WD MyCloud - so same as you.
Network shares browsing works perfectly, without any special setup, for both SMB and NFS.

Just to make sure you’re doing it right, you go Settings -> Media -> Videos -> Add Source -> SMB -> Browse
-> WORKGROUP

Otherwise I’m trying to think what could be wrong in your setup:

1. You didn’t change any really advanced settings either in CE or in WD that have to do with network sharing? Like settings about SMB versions or similar advanced settings
  2. Obviously use “WORKGROUP” in both CE and WD settings
  3. Update WD to latest firmware
  4. Try reinstalling CE from scratch. Also very important be 100% sure you used correct dtb (sometimes it looks like it’s right because it sort of works, but it isn’t right) (maybe youre using wrong one and affecting your ethernet)
  5. The only other hardware that could be interfering is your Router maybe. Latest firmware? Something in its settings?

Cant think of anything else to try

By the way, like everyone says NFS is better, I use NFS. But I can browse in NFS just like SMB. The problems you are describing seems theres a problem with both your SMB and NFS.

2 Likes