[SOLVED] Odroid N2 washed out 4k

newbie here, just got my new Odroid N2 with CE 9.2.2 and most movies don’t play at 4k and seem very washed out, what could the issue be?

here’s a dispinfo from one such mkv:
http://ix.io/2k3R

I’m using this cable:

passthrough from a vizio soundbar SB36512-F6 to a TCL 65R615 – direct connection makes no difference, either

dispinfo from sony swordsmith that seems to do 2160p60 properly with the same setup

happy to provide more info, if needed

sony dispinfo:
http://ix.io/2k3V

It could be the cable what resolution are you trying to send?

Bridging the gap between audio and video in one dynamic cable, you can connect your Blu-ray player, computer, AV receiver, Apple TV, Roku, cable box, Play Station 3, Play Station, Xbox One, 360, Nintendo Wii, Wii U or other HDMI compatible devices to your Ultra 4K TV (UHD TV), HDTV, monitor, or projector. The AmazonBasics HDMI cable displays 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, with 48-bit deep color, and supports bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps

As per the above description the cable is only rated for 4K @ 24Hz. You need a cable rated at 18 Gbps something like the below:

1 Like

The description for the Amazon basics cable states "4K Video at 30 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps, so it should be fine.

Yeah, it’s confusing. Description also says 10.2Gbps…

The AmazonBasics HDMI cable displays 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, with 48-bit deep color, and supports bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps

I’ll try with a new cable but for some reason my Xbox can stream 4k fine using the same cable

I could be that the Xbox is outputting at a lower bandwidth.

There is an option to output at 4:2:2 in the system settings also an option to limit the colour depth to 8-bit. You could try both these settings to see if they work on your N2 since this could be display related.

A couple of useful articles on cable standards for anybody wondering what the difference between the 4 types is.

Slaying the Cable Monster

The best HDMI cables for 2020

no luck with the same cable doing 4:2:2 or limiting color depth to 8bit, unfortunately. I’ll report back with new cables in a few days.

thank you all for all your help!

Is the TV configured to properly HDR etc?

I’m using ancient HDMI cables, easily 10+ years old and have no issues displaying 4k HDR via the N2 on my LG TV.

Have you tried to set the colour primaries to PQ manually on the TV sometimes this info is not transfered to the TV. When I re-code stuff and I forget to set PQ the colours look washed out.

Have you tried those setting without the soundbar (N2 directly connected to the tv)?
The most important thing is setup your tv properly to show HDR from that HDMI input where the N2 connected. Also use a fresh install without any add-on.

yep, TCL TV’s just need the HDMI input set to HDMI 2.0 just rechecked

hmm… not sure how to do that on a TCL 65R615 but the colors are fine when played via xbox/firestick

yes - this is a brand new fresh install, but i’ll try resetting again - and yep - no luck connecting directly to TV

Read the manual it does not seem to have that setting on my pana you can override the setting to PQ

I would still look around the tv settings.
I tried CE on Samsung, Philips and LG tvs without any HDR problem.
N2 is my daily driver and HDR works great with my LG tv.
Do you have a chance to try your N2 on another tv?

1 Like

On my LG TV I have to specifically enable “Deep Colour” I think they call it on specific HDMI inputs. Similarly on my Sony AMP I have to enabled “Enhanced Colour” on each HDMI port to display HDR etc.

2 Likes

Yup that was it, tried with my LG and got HDR with vibrant colors.

Apparently a full system restart of the TCL Roku TV resets the HDR. Now I see the HDR icon when the video begins.

Thanks a lot everyone!!