Some video bitrate discussions

Hi

I would like to use a large USB (1 TB) to boot from and use it for media storge as well.

When I create a USB Boot , CE create 2 partitions, one 512 FAT Coreelec boot partition and another primary partition, but I cannot access the second partition from Windows.

If I delete the partition and create a simple windows partition, I cannot boot from the USB anymore.

Is there a way around this?

iirc the 2nd partition is just missing a label.
so if you go into your volume manager and assign a drive letter to it it should work

Hi DS_DV

Thanks for your help,

I am using windows 11, and under Disks & volumes, I cannot see the second partition, only one 512 FAT Coreelec partition. No matter what I try I cannot assign a label or drive letter to it.

You should access the second partition while mounted in CE with smb or winscp. If you want to access directly the USB stick use Linux.

that is a bad solution for windows users regarding transfer speeds xD
imagine having to copy a 120gb file to the disk or copy it via winscp xDDD
The only reason i use the storage is for files which exceed the 1Gbit transfer rate while steaming from my nas.

Thatā€™s a hell of a bitrate.

not that unusual any more ^^
Dolby Vision + DTS HD MA can easily break that.
If its just peaks you can buffer it.
But there is an increasing amount of movies which is just hovering around 1gbit or constantly over it.

back when reddit was online there was a whole thread with movies and their timestamps when they peaked over it. And even total amounts of minutes over 1gbit.

Any ways i guess thatā€™s the reason for folks to use direct storage rather than network attached.
And it wont become less relevant in the future since technology so far always got more demanding :smiley:

I would like to see a sample of a file that saturates a gigabit connection. Not a test file, a real one.

1 Like

i just googled for the reddit thread but cant find it any more :frowning:
it was a table with a list of movies. respected timestamps when they peaked over and total amount of time over a gigabit.

guess nowadays if you dont have a bookmark for the wayback machine you are lost :confused:

But i think with a little time one can find it in the depths of the www.

PS: unrelated but some times also fixable with local storage: there is also issues with some movie formats. I have dolby atmos demos and movies which play fine with 4k DV + Atmos or DTSX and i have a 4k HDR10+ which plays but as soon as i want to skip to a chapter the whole kodi instance freezes up/crashes and only works again when i hardreset the device.

4K Blu Ray spec has a max bandwidth of 128Mbits. I donā€™t know how you get to peaks of over 1Gbits.
So breaking the 100Mbit barrier in 4K remux files, thatā€™s easy. Breaking 1Gbit? Nope.
Please provide at least one example.

Edit: Besides, the hardware decoders have bandwidth limitations as well. They are all ways lower than 1Gbit. There are demo ā€œJellyfishā€ files in different formats (H264 and H265) and with different bandwidths.
If you take the higher bitrate ones, youā€™ll see that they play in slow motion. So having ā€˜localā€™ storage to bypass a 1gbit network limitation makes no sense to me.

1 Like

and that is hurting the whole home cinema market -.-
I really ha*e blue rays. they are bad for the environment and the sole reason why we always get shitty audio.
Most atmos tracks for home cinema are really really bad.
If someone wants to upgrade to 5.1.x i always advice against it since legal atmos tracks are near useless.
And the reason is size restrains on those god damn blue rays.
Afaik only AppleTV has a few half way decent audio tracks :confused:

Personally i run a 5.2.4 Auro3D setup ā€¦ and i got to test a few movies with good quality ā€¦ but they are really huge files ā€¦

If one asks me how to obtain them for the personal library i have no clue ā€¦
Somehow everyone seams ok with atmos being fake in hc and blue rays being the final solution ā€¦

/rant (sorry)

What other sources are there for watching movies at home other than streaming and blu ray? Please elaborate.
Streaming is normally a lot more compressed than blu ray, and the audio is compressed as well, even if it contains an Atmos layer.
If you happen to have access to original sources, with ā€œunlimitedā€ bandwidth that is not available for the majority of the population, then good on you.
And as I already mentioned, there are hardware limitations to the the maximum video bandwidth bitrate that the decoders can handle anyway. So I donā€™t see a point in ā€œ1gbit+ā€ video streams, as they just wouldnā€™t work well (or at all) anyway.
Also, Kodi already struggles with some existing ā€œhighā€ bitrate Atmos tracks.

Yes, home cinema has limitations, which makes sense, because it aims to serve the majority of the population and not super purists like yourself.

I find that the current situation with 4K HDR content is pretty great quality wise. I do agree, from my limited experience, that Atmos tracks can often be underwhelming, though. But I donā€™t think itā€™s an issue with the format, itā€™s an issue with how the audio was mastered\transferred for home release.

3 Likes

But there is an increasing amount of movies which is just hovering around 1gbit or constantly over it.

• No such thing, I think you are confusing it with 100Mbps.

I have dolby atmos demos and movies which play fine with 4k DV + Atmos or DTSX and i have a 4k HDR10+ which plays but as soon as i want to skip to a chapter the whole kodi instance freezes up/crashes and only works again when i hardreset the device.

There are other reasons for this, inappropriate use of the add-ons, not the right buffer size, etc.

My guess is heā€™s using CE21, which is based on Kodi 21, which is still in alpha stage and suffers from a multitude of issues with video playback.

since i am on auto upgrade again i have (for the moment broken DV) but are on latest CE available.

It maybe that currently apple tv is the best consumer way to get quality.
Still sad that there are no other good sources for DTSX/Atmos/Auro3D :frowning:
Afaik BluRay Size is the only reason that we dont get the original Audio which for example gets provided to normal Cinemas.

The whole concept of 3D Audio was that we get one track which gets to our avrs which in turn make the best for our home setup.

Nowadays ā€œatmosā€ is just another track bases solution where each track gets ā€œmasteredā€ on their own for bluray size / home cinema after the movie is finished ā€¦

just for testing ill setup another stick with a blanc ce to test it with.
Can you elaborate how i can set a buffer size or how buffer size can help if i want to skip to the second half of a movie? (for example i like to skip to specific scenes of the tron remake when i tweak audio settings. Atm i can only do that with a 1080 rip. the 4k version is only viewable from start to finish. (and maybe 10s skips. But every time i start the movie and want to skip to 30 or 60 minute mark hard reset is the only way out) [might be a Kodi thing tho and not CE /Device related]

so i came back from work and took another round of trying google search (god it has become so bad in the last years xD)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/eoa03e/psa_100_mbps_is_not_enough_to_direct_play_4k/
looks like you are correct. i was mistakenly thinking about 1gibt and not 100mbit regarding the reddit post from 4 years ago.
Than again i know that the atmos thing is due to size limits on the disk.

And also i now start to wonder why i can play (& skip) movies just fine when they are local but now when they are on a nas. (i tried same files from the nas with vlc on my laptop which works just fineā€¦ so i guess you are correct and its not a bandwith limitationā€¦

My fault to assume that it was - sorry ^^

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.