Suggestion for hardware to play uhd rips at highest quality

So i just finished setting up my home theater cinema with atmos and all that jazz.

setup is marantz sr6015 and TCL 85C735 (android) and it works mostly just fine. The only annoing thing is that the tv does not seem to pass truehd 7.1 to the reciver and i seem to loose atmos data if a resample/recode it with kodi so i’m looking at some other solution.
I need the mediaplayer hardware to handle passthoug/bitstream of all the cool formats as truehd 7.1/atmos and dts:x and all other forms that are usually used in uhd content.

I actually asked openai and got an answer, but i don’t really trust skynet 100% so i’m asking you, the ppl with actual experience on this :slight_smile:

hdr10 and hdr10+ would also be nice to have, i suspect dolby vision is more limited due to licencing or something.

This is what skynet sugegsted:

me: i need a sbc to use with coreelec that can handle av1 and bitstream truehd with atmos

There are several options for single-board computers (SBCs) that can handle AV1 and bitstream TrueHD with Atmos when using CoreELEC. Here are some suggestions:

1. Raspberry Pi 4: The Raspberry Pi 4 is a popular SBC that can handle AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos when using CoreELEC. It has a Broadcom BCM2711 SoC with a quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit CPU running at 1.5GHz, and up to 8GB of RAM. It also has a Broadcom VideoCore VI GPU, which supports hardware decoding of AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos bitstreaming.
  2. Odroid N2: The Odroid N2 is another powerful SBC that can handle AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos when using CoreELEC. It has an Amlogic S922X SoC with a quad-core Cortex-A73 (ARM v8) 64-bit CPU running at up to 1.8GHz, and a dual-core Cortex-A53 (ARM v8) 64-bit CPU running at up to 1.9GHz. It also has a Mali-G52 GPU, which supports hardware decoding of AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos bitstreaming.
  3. Khadas VIM3L: The Khadas VIM3L is another SBC that can handle AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos when using CoreELEC. It has an Amlogic S905D3 SoC with a quad-core Cortex-A55 (ARM v8) 64-bit CPU running at up to 1.9GHz, and a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU, which supports hardware decoding of AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos bitstreaming. It also has 2GB or 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM.

All three of these SBCs are capable of running CoreELEC and can handle AV1 and TrueHD with Atmos. However, you may want to consider other factors such as price, available ports, and community support before making a final decision.

me: do any of these also do 7.1 truehd and atmos ? also dts:x

Yes, all three of the SBCs I mentioned in my previous answer are capable of bitstreaming TrueHD 7.1 with Atmos and DTS:X as well.

When it comes to TrueHD 7.1 with Atmos and DTS:X, it’s important to note that not only the SBC, but also the connected AV receiver or soundbar needs to support these formats in order to fully utilize them.

Therefore, you should also ensure that your AV receiver or soundbar supports TrueHD 7.1 with Atmos and DTS:X, and that it has the necessary inputs (e.g. HDMI or optical) to receive the bitstream from the SBC.

I stopped reading when I saw this

openai doesn’t understand the SoC difference :slight_smile:

And “support” AV1 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

No RPi support AV1 in hardware.
Amlogic do support it since SC2 S905X4 in hardware.

So all devices on your list do not cover 100%.
The better Amlogic SoC would be T7 A311D2, but this does (not yet) support TrueHD in passthrough.

Another alternative is S4 S905Y4 but it is less power full than SC2 but it support AV1 and TrueHD in hardware as well.

So would the ODROID N2 Plus do what i need?
If so i might as well get the 4gig version i think, if it can’'t do AV1 it’s not the end of the world.
… Then again, if i can ignore AV1 i might as well just get a shield pro, should give me all i need + be a good emalator as well i think, for oldschoool stuff at least.

Yes, I recently upgraded from a RPi4 to the ODROID N2+ because the Pi was not able to play 4K+HDR10+Atmos movies without stuttering. The ODROID is doing that just fine and passing Atmos and DTS through to my Yamaha receiver. So I can highly recommend the ODROID N2+.

Love my N2(+)'s as well, but if I were to buy now i would look at S905X4+ models…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.