Support for rtl8821CU wifi driver

Which addon?

Plex-for-Kodi. It can be replicated by searching for a movie / tv show, selecting it, returning to the main menu then either exiting the app or selecting something from the home screen. In my experience, on S905, S912 and S905X2 using CoreELEC or LibreELEC, it will 100% crash :frowning:

Hi! I have an RTL8811cu wifi adapter and it doesn’t work on my tx3 mini. I’ve tried Coreelec 9.0.3 stable, 9.2.0 stable, 15.11.2019 nightly build. None of them seemed to work with my adapter. What should be the problem?

Which RTL8811cu WiFi adapter do you have?

Can you provide output of lsusb while the WiFi adapter is plugged in.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:1a2b Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Hi, The problem with that particular WiFi adaptor is when it initially boots is it thinks its a 16M usb flash drive. This flash drive contains the windows driver. Normally under window once the driver loads it mode switches the device flipping it into WiFi mode. There is a relatively easy fix for this see my post bellow if you struggle just post back and I will try to help.

3 Likes

Thank you, it works perfectly now.

Hi, reviving this old topic, complete SSH noob here with the same issue - WiFi adaptor thinks its a USB flash drive. I’ve installed System Tools and can SSH into Coreelec from my Mac but what do I type to get to the autostart.sh in the config directory? A step by step guide of what to type would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jez

type this command

cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/40-modeswitch.rules /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/

then open file /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/40-modeswitch.rules and add line ATTRS with your vid/pid of the stick.

This will work most reliably.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! What do I type to open file /storage/.config/idea.rules.d/40-modeswitch.rules? I get a no such file or directory message

You need to copy file first with cp command and you will have content inside.

Thanks, cp command gives me this:

Usage: cp [OPTIONS] SOURCE… DEST

Copy SOURCE(s) to DEST

-a	Same as -dpR
-R,-r	Recurse
-d,-P	Preserve symlinks (default if -R)
-L	Follow all symlinks
-H	Follow symlinks on command line
-p	Preserve file attributes if possible
-f	Overwrite
-i	Prompt before overwrite
-l,-s	Create (sym)links
-T	Treat DEST as a normal file
-u	Copy only newer files

What do I do next?

Use corect command as I wrote above

lsusb command gives me this:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:1a2b Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188GU 802.11n WLAN Adapter (Driver CDROM Mode)

sorry, when I do that I get a blank command line. What do I do next?

Edit the file.

So the file is now copied to /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/ ?

What do I type to I open the file to edit it?

First type this command and post url you get. Then we will know what device you are using.

udevadm info /sys/bus/sdio/devices/* | paste

I got this message:

Unknown device “/sys/bus/sdio/devices/*”: No such device

The wifi usb is plugged into an odroid N2+