The Future: Older S905*/S912 based devices and mainline

Honestly I think noone is interested in s912 anymore, as pelican pointed out.

And it seems over all other projects (LE, Armbian etc. etc.) only one person is visibly working in this direction, and I don’t seem to get it how development works there, other than getting pointed to some text in bold red that CE is bad and if ever you had it on your box it’s now trash no useful info is getting out of those who seem to know anything… I hope it’s just the language barriers fault.

I guess I will give up playing with amlogic s912 and either move it to my parents with CE or ancient Superceleron AndroidTV for Zattoo and YouTube.

Thanks for your 2ct Vascobraga!

Well, we know what has been said and try to address those situations when they reach a certain point but in the end is up to the user to decide what to do. CoreELEC provides a fully functional media center and nothing that is done in CoreELEC breaks your device in any way. And yes, we tend to think there’s some kind of language barrier (in other projects) sometimes but that’s not a problem we have or want to deal with.

Your post made me smile. Thanks for being open.

I understand CEs focus and that’s fine with me. Most users profit of this approach.

And after all everyone is free to do in their own spare time whatever they want, so no asking for release times no forcing for support answers…

For me the consequence is amlogic for mediaplayer, Allwinner for tinkering.

I have had libreelec mainline in s912 (h96 pro) and without any problem in the dtbs. I think I was using the q200 / q201 dtb that came with the image.

https://test.libreelec.tv/

Of course, do not expect something to use every day. Sorry if you break any rules.

The s912 was orphaned by a amlogic but its still a capable board. Its weakness is graphics support where it tends to be glitchy. However it makes an excellent media and tvheadend server and frees up your more capable boxes to be better clients.

Don’t believe the badmouthing on the other forums, they haven’t had a usable Leia build for two years and it smarts on their fragile egos.

Shoog

Strange, will try once again if time permits.
I suspect something with the mainline DTB is wrong (HDMI?), but before we keep guessing I have to get my usb serial converter out and check what fails.

If there’s interest we might open a thread for repurposing S912 for tvheadend or mediaserver on mainline, once progress has been made.

Actually I hoped to use it as a dvb-c recorder with included poor man’s nas to watch it on my main player.

I can understand the approach going to mainline, I also think thats the medium term way to go. But yepp not having a working solution for years, what to say…

But as we can see on Allwinner platform things can change quickly, it just takes a crowdfunding campaign, an embedded OS company, a community of crazy mainliners and one dedicated developer of the community bringing all together and keeping communication with users up. I wish s912 would be on par with H3, of course its incomplete but flexibility is great for a tinkerer.

Let’s see what will happen. At least it’s good to see here a normal discussion can take place :slight_smile:

None of thesxe boards have got the hardware decoders for multimedia working - which really is what CE is built upon and without it moving to mainline is a big step backward for the community. This aspect of the hardware is low priority for mainline developers who mainly want a video accelerated Mali driver.
Try using LE now with its mainline efforts to see what I mean.

Shoog

As I told I can’t tell about amlogic, as I never made it even to boot on LE, but Allwinner Video acceleration is working like a charm under mainline, only bit missing with regards to video is the HW deinterlacer. Thus for my use as a Zatto box it’s good enough for a daily driver.

And honestly for a TV-headend box HW decoding is optional.

nooooo, s912 is absolutely great and sufficient for everything :slight_smile:

So instead of making a whole new thread for a boring “what should I buy” question… let me interject here for a moment.

What should I buy? :slight_smile: Okay, I mean… I already have an S912 box. It works alright, but feels a little slow and quirky sometimes. I haven’t really followed this type of hardware since buying it, so I see many new numbers like S905X3 mentioned a lot… but then this thread says it’s unsupported as of yet? While S922 is supported but there’s basically no hardware with it?

So really my question is: in the €30-€50 price bracket (ideally towards the former), should I buy something different from an S912 these days if I want something a little faster or with more RAM, and if so, what? I do want CoreELEC support for it to be fairly complete, it does need to be used as an everyday TV box for a family, so if S912 is still my best bet somehow, I can go with it.

As to video specs, it needs to do 1080p and there’s going to be a fair bit of Amazon Prime played through it. No need for 4K decoding, but of course if codecs are fast in general, that’s good.

You can take what you want from this box i’ve been running for nearly 2 weeks.

For running CE you don’t need more than 2gb of ram.
Barely use 30% of the 2gb with CE.
Very good Ram management with Android 9 on this thing as well.

1 Like

I already had a H96 Pro, but I thought I would get a newer box. I bought a X96+ S905X3. I shouldn’t have bothered.

I was hoping it would be faster through the menu’s but I don’t see much difference.

I use the X96+ & the H96 sits in a drawer.

I have a nvidia shield in my living room & the X96+ & an Amazon Fire stick in the bedroom.

Both X96 Air and H96 Pro+ are now in the drawer.
N2 is on stand-by, only when DTS HD/TrueHD content is available.
All other times - Kodi on Android TV. :slight_smile:

That’s good decision to don’t abandon legacy kernel for now. Mainline is long long way to go, not usable for most users at current stage. I remember OrangePI/Allwinner Soc, developer has switched to mainline kernel a few years ago. Today his builds still don’t support many important things, like deinterlace. Good to see Coreelec does not want to go the same way and there won’t be so huge regressions

1 Like

I Have a Telekom MagentaTV Stick device with S905Y2 4x 1.8 GHz ARM Cortex-A53.
Coreelec 9.2.2 works really perfect on them. I have no problems with 4K content at all.

but I have one question: right now it’s on a HDMI on Samsung Q65Q64R which supports DolbyDigital+
I played a 4K HDR viseo with Dolby Atmos an there was no sound when I connected a AVR Onkyo TX-NR525, which not supports Dolby Atmos. Kodi Setting is passthrough.

My question is, will that devise be able to hande Dolby Atmos passthrough in combination with Kodi if i connect directly to a AVR which supports Dolby Atmos?

You need to connect the stick to the AVR and AVR to TV.

perfect… thanks for that info.

What I find difficult to understand is why people even want Mainline support for these chips.
Without vendor support any effort to mainline support for these chips will guarantee a poorer performance than the vendor kernel.
Look at the pathetic level of support that you get for Nvidea GPU’s in mainline - and they have been working on that project for over a decade. Only zealots actually use it because of the performance hit involved. Compare that to Intel GPU support in Linux with Intel actually doing almost all the heavy lifting to get it as good as the Windows support.

When these chips achieve passable support they will be redundant - as they almost are already.

ARM and AMLogic will never support the mainlining of their products unless RISC-V looks like serious commercial competition.

Other projects have distanced themselves from the vendor kernels for their own political reasons - don’t follow them down their rabbit hole.

Shoog

2 Likes

I guess you mean Nouveau driver. Well, that’s true. However, amd and intel gpus are good in mainline. But I agree, arm/amlogic mainline will behave similar as nvidia on pc, barely working.