TrueHD with Dolby Atmos 7.1 sound skipping (11Mbps audio bit rate)

Shield now passes this correctly through Plex and soon Kodi. Hopefully others will follow.

This is just a specific workaround for the Shield. It’s not possible in CE, and Kodi is still working on fixing it properly in ffmpeg so that it works on all platforms.

There’s a Kodi dev working on the fix, so hopefully we’ll see this in 18.6. Looks definite for Kodi 19.0.

I am using CE 19.2 RC2 with S905X3 4GB ram target, the issue still appear.

From my investigation, the same video file if change audio stream from TrueHD Atmos to e.g DTS-ma, DD surround etc the skip not appear.

This is a Kodi issue.

I’ve been following discussions about this bug over at Kodi GitHub and it seems a temporary, partial remedy for the problem exists in commits but has not been integrated in Kodi yet.
See this: Kodi 18.4 crashes with high bitrate TrueHD+Atmos audio stream · Issue #16704 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

Apologies in advance if what I’m about to ask is impossible. I’m not a dev. But I’m wondering if there is any way CoreELEC could integrate those fixes in the CoreELEC version of Kodi until they are implemented officially?

This bug has been open in Kodi for nearly 2 years and it seems like the Kodi devs have all but given up on it. However, as more and more films are released with higher Dolby Atmos bitrates this is becoming a major problem. I’ve been noticing audio dropouts on more and more of my disk rips lately.

I’m sure fixing this would mean a lot to many users.

@bendavid is here with us, maybe he has some more insight into this problem now.

1 Like

About | FAQ | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Legal Notice