Unable to boot/install despite correct dtb

Hello,

I have an old S912 (8 core, 3GB RAM) running Kszaq’s old Libreelec 8, I want to upgrade that to CoreElec.

Libreelec at this point runs well, despite being old. cat /proc/device-tree/le-dt-id says:
gxm_q200_3g

So I downloaded the generic arm CoreElec, burned it to a stick, then mounted it and copied over the following file as dtb.img in / (copied it also to /device_trees):
http://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s912/8.2/device_trees/1Gbit_Ethernet/gxm_q200_3g.dtb

I unmounted the stick and inserted it in the S912 box, however it will not boot, it’s just stuck at the S912 logo (attached). Any ideas?

Why you using a different dtb? You need to use the included one in the device_tree folder.

Because the old libreelec tells me I need gxm_q200_3g and I can’t find this in the device tree on CE…

If I leave the generic image untouched, without adding the gxm_q200_3g it still gets stuck at the S912 logo …

Wrong forum then, here is CoreELEC.
Try all other dtbs.

Unfortunately none of them produced a successful boot…

You have to download CE 9.2.8 stable, burn it and copy gxm_q200_3g.dtb from device-tree folder.
CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2.8-Generic.img.gz
I did it on my very old Vorke Z6 device - it works.

Don´t burn CE 19.3 !

Thanks @Tim_Taylor

Burned that to a microsd card, but the gxm_q200_3g.dtb file was not in the device tree folder. I copied it from my old LibreElec but it will not produce a successful boot, it just gets stuck at the S912 logo.
Can you by any chance share your gxm_q200_3g.dtb?

Thanks

A little bit wrong link from Tim_Taylor, should be non-ng version for S912 boxes. There you could find correct dtb file.

https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases/download/9.2.8/CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2.8-Generic.img.gz

And don’t copy dtb file from other distribs

Sorry, corrected the link.
The gxm_q200_3g.dtb file is in the folder device-trees.
Another way to get the gxm_q200_3g.dtb is downloading the .tar file (CoreELEC-Amlogic.arm-9.2.8.tar) and extract it.

Thanks @boot2k3 and @Tim_Taylor , it works! :slight_smile:

Quick question, with this version of CoreELEC on this old S912 can I expect 4K/60FPS/HDR? Originally these features were listed in the specs, but the original OS was some dodgy Android.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.