Update to CoreELEC directly from LibreELEC?

If you had time to spare, you can order some inexpensive USB2/3 adapters from any online stores, i.e. AliExpress, etc., and have it shipped (with a free S/H cost) to your address in Brazil. Depends on your country’s import policies, you may and/or may not be required to pay the import tax. The shipping time usually take 1 or more month.

1 Like

Could you link a cheap USB3 - emmc adapter wich compatible with the odroid emmc module?

Thanks Ray!

Now, I’ve got CoreELEC up and running on a microSD card.

(It’s way snappier and bug free than LibreELEC, by the way, even when LibreELEC was running from an EMMC module, which is supposed to be faster. I’m impressed.)

Which command should I use to simply transfer it to EMMC?

Or, if it’s simpler, which folder should I backup (and then replace) from CoreELEC to retain my current configuration in a brand new direct install?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t have odroid to test.

Don’t understand, then why do you recommend if you don’t know any?

You can use internal CoreElec option to make a backup. Copy this backup to some safe place, make a fresh install on an eMMC and when the install finishes, restore your backup.

1 Like

My instructions were to update your emmc installation ;).

Just boot from emmc where you have LibreELEC installed and do the same tar update I described. I tested it. Should work if you have LibreELEC 9.0.1 running there.

1 Like

Allright, Ray. Just followed your instructions and it worked like a charm, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I really don’t understand your comment above.

1, Morguito said he lost his emmc->micro sd adapter
2 You recommended to him to buy cheap USB2/3 adapter
3. I asked you to link one, because I havent’t found any.
4. You said you don’t have odroid (which is totally irrelevant here)
5. I state I don’t understand why do you recommend something if you don’t have any knowledge about what you recommended.
6. You don’t understand my comment.
Maybe you shouldn’t post thing that you don’t know…

I merely responded to the OP about the SD adapter and gave the OP the link to search for. The fact that I don’t have odroid does NOT mean I can’t try to help by providing some information. This is a pretty common thing to do in helping each other. What you are expecting is someone to feed you right into your mouth.

Just relax. I think in this instance you may be trying to give advice without enough knowledge. You may have meant well. But @Pelican was correcting you on not giving qualified advice on something you don’t own.
There are Emmc to SD adapters on AlieExpress but not all Emmc pins are the same. The Pine 64 may be correct from what i have read but i would not buy this particular piece or anything for the N2 / C2 Emmc shown on Alieexpress. :wink:

Giving false information is not helping.
I believe you are trying to help, but better if you give advice about things you know.

Thank you. I followed your instructions and now my C2 is on CoreElec :smiley:

1 Like

This should be added to the install instructions on the homepage! :+1:

I guess quite a few users will want to migrate from LE to CE since the many playback issues with the latest release and the announcement they won’t be fixed. The possibility to move the system to CE without having to reset everything greatly reduces the hurdle to change.

I disagree, because in normal cases a direct upgrade from LE to CE is not support or recommended. It can introduce other problems, which we don’t want to deal with.
This is a special situation, because the OP lost his eMMC to microSD adapter and didn’t have another option to use CE.

What is so difficult about:
-Creating a LE backup with the backup tool.
-doing a fresh install of CE
-restoring your backup

The result is exactly the same as direct upgrade from LE to CE.

Shoog

2 Likes

Well, you’ve already described yourself: A clean install includes running a backup software (then porting the files to some external storage), moving SD/eMMC to another computer (likely with some kind of SD/eMMC adapter that might or might not be lying around somewhere), manual flashing, and afterwards manually restoring to the backup.

Compared to just copying three lines of command and rebooting, this is far less convenient. It’s all no rocket science, but if switching from a known system to an unknown new one, such an inconvenience might pose the first reason to reconsider. After all the average user can’t even be sure in advance if CE really does offer an improvement. Ray’s commands seem like an appealing alternative here.

Also can you guarantee, a backup always restores all individual settings? In the past I have already experienced loss of personal adjustments (like having to retrain IR remote and rewrite the keymap, loss of shared folders and automounting smb shares), so I’d rather not place a bet on this.

Just out of curiosity: what kind of problems could an update cause? It seems to be working for everyone here? Is there a particular reason you discourage going this way or is it rather because you can’t predict the results with absolute certainty?

Cheers!

Then why on earth would they want to run a command that can’t be cleanly undone?
Why wouldn’t they want to back up in LE (and/or image their card on a pc) first?
Otherwise there’s no going back and a failed update can mean you lose the lot.

Who said you should not backup? I personally prefer to make a “dd” backup of tho whole system prior to any update. That way you can easily go back to exactly the previous state. But this is off topic.

The more interesting question remains: Why should you not upgrade from LE to CE?