Update to CoreELEC directly from LibreELEC?

My instructions were to update your emmc installation ;).

Just boot from emmc where you have LibreELEC installed and do the same tar update I described. I tested it. Should work if you have LibreELEC 9.0.1 running there.

1 Like

Allright, Ray. Just followed your instructions and it worked like a charm, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I really don’t understand your comment above.

1, Morguito said he lost his emmc->micro sd adapter
2 You recommended to him to buy cheap USB2/3 adapter
3. I asked you to link one, because I havent’t found any.
4. You said you don’t have odroid (which is totally irrelevant here)
5. I state I don’t understand why do you recommend something if you don’t have any knowledge about what you recommended.
6. You don’t understand my comment.
Maybe you shouldn’t post thing that you don’t know…

I merely responded to the OP about the SD adapter and gave the OP the link to search for. The fact that I don’t have odroid does NOT mean I can’t try to help by providing some information. This is a pretty common thing to do in helping each other. What you are expecting is someone to feed you right into your mouth.

Just relax. I think in this instance you may be trying to give advice without enough knowledge. You may have meant well. But @Pelican was correcting you on not giving qualified advice on something you don’t own.
There are Emmc to SD adapters on AlieExpress but not all Emmc pins are the same. The Pine 64 may be correct from what i have read but i would not buy this particular piece or anything for the N2 / C2 Emmc shown on Alieexpress. :wink:

Giving false information is not helping.
I believe you are trying to help, but better if you give advice about things you know.

Thank you. I followed your instructions and now my C2 is on CoreElec :smiley:

1 Like

This should be added to the install instructions on the homepage! :+1:

I guess quite a few users will want to migrate from LE to CE since the many playback issues with the latest release and the announcement they won’t be fixed. The possibility to move the system to CE without having to reset everything greatly reduces the hurdle to change.

I disagree, because in normal cases a direct upgrade from LE to CE is not support or recommended. It can introduce other problems, which we don’t want to deal with.
This is a special situation, because the OP lost his eMMC to microSD adapter and didn’t have another option to use CE.

What is so difficult about:
-Creating a LE backup with the backup tool.
-doing a fresh install of CE
-restoring your backup

The result is exactly the same as direct upgrade from LE to CE.

Shoog

2 Likes

Well, you’ve already described yourself: A clean install includes running a backup software (then porting the files to some external storage), moving SD/eMMC to another computer (likely with some kind of SD/eMMC adapter that might or might not be lying around somewhere), manual flashing, and afterwards manually restoring to the backup.

Compared to just copying three lines of command and rebooting, this is far less convenient. It’s all no rocket science, but if switching from a known system to an unknown new one, such an inconvenience might pose the first reason to reconsider. After all the average user can’t even be sure in advance if CE really does offer an improvement. Ray’s commands seem like an appealing alternative here.

Also can you guarantee, a backup always restores all individual settings? In the past I have already experienced loss of personal adjustments (like having to retrain IR remote and rewrite the keymap, loss of shared folders and automounting smb shares), so I’d rather not place a bet on this.

Just out of curiosity: what kind of problems could an update cause? It seems to be working for everyone here? Is there a particular reason you discourage going this way or is it rather because you can’t predict the results with absolute certainty?

Cheers!

Then why on earth would they want to run a command that can’t be cleanly undone?
Why wouldn’t they want to back up in LE (and/or image their card on a pc) first?
Otherwise there’s no going back and a failed update can mean you lose the lot.

Who said you should not backup? I personally prefer to make a “dd” backup of tho whole system prior to any update. That way you can easily go back to exactly the previous state. But this is off topic.

The more interesting question remains: Why should you not upgrade from LE to CE?

Because it introduces outside factors, so it’s more likely to have problems than a clean install.
The devs are in control of what you’re putting on a card - not what’s already there.
Look at the LE forum and you’ll find plenty of problems with the move from OE - even though it might be flawless for some.
Nobody’s stopping you or me from doing non-standard installs, but what’s in the wiki should be what’s most likely to give a problem-free result.

1 Like

The risk is that you hose your system and have a none bootable system. I have heard enough examples of this happening to recommend that no-one tries it. Its not even recommended to go from one version of CE to another unless they are consecutive in time.
I know for a fact that there was a break in compatibility when the partition labels were changed which caused a lot of issues for people moving from LE to CE, and this will definitely effect you if you jump from the LE Krypton builds to the CE Leia builds. Another common problem is getting stuck in a Addon Migration loop which prevents a boot.

Shoog

1 Like

Totally agree with @trogggy and @Shoog
I have tried both updating from LE to CE OS
and restoring previous LE Backup to CE.
You may think it all went well until you start getting issues no one else is getting.
I Bricked a TX3 Mini S905w that had FRESH CE installed to SD Card.
I then restored a previous LE build on it and it successfully migrated all addons.
About a week later the box just booted to a Black Screen in CE.
What’s worse is when i pulled out the SD Card and tried to boot to Android eMMc
it was the black screen of death as well.
What was it ?? I will never know. Box was dead until i flashed the original Android on it with Amlogic Burning Tool.
So do as you please. No support given.

I must add that after upgrading from LE to CE, the first thing I did was a hard reset in CE, in order to avoid possible incompatibility issues.

So far, so good. It’s been running smoothly.

I guess if people do as I did (upgrade>hard reset) they wont have any trouble.

Do it at your own risk, though.

That still could brick your device (look at the experience @kostaman reported above).
In your case a brick is nearly impossible though, because you have an SBC with a removable emmc.
That’s why @Ray posted these instructions for you (he also tested and reproduced it on his C2).

But I won’t include it on the website as a general how-to for all users like suggested by @ifThenERROR, because the whole process is just too risky for the average user and most probably fails on some cheap Chinese TV boxes.
We don’t want to brick the devices of a few thousand users.

1 Like

Works wonders on my oDroid C2. Upgraded LibreELEC to CoreELEC (9.2.3) as per your instructions. After a bit of fiddling (some problems with NFS shares) CoreELEC is running smooth now.

Thank you for this very useful post!!

2 Likes