What do you love/hate about CoreELEC?

Possibly but as long as any negative criticism is constructive then it’s welcome, the new Games option does look a bit odd with the default theme, the only solution to this would be to move the CoreELEC option.

I hear you, the forum’s can become frustrating at times from those of us who moderate it and help users, so try not to take it to heart, we are only human and some days we get out of bed on the wrong side.

We try to make our HowTo’s as informative and as easy to follow as possible for the less technically skilled people, I think this is an area would could expand more on.

I’m still not sure whether accepting donations would be appropriate, CoreELEC is based on contributions from many different people and I personally feel uneasy about accepting them for that reason but there is a need to put hardware in the hands of the people who do contribute code but a lot of the time manufacturers will happily donate it, we have had hardware donations from LibreComputer, Khadas, WeTek, Minix and HardKernel but there is some things like SD cards, VFD’s, hosting, that we are purchasing out of our pockets to support the community and for that reason we have recently activated adverts on the site to experiment whether they can generate any income to compensate developers, level 2 users (regulars) and above are exempt and will not see them.

this situation may improve in the future with mainline efforts

We have people on the team who want to enhance CoreELEC in this area, it’s in the todo list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It might be better, just for “aesthetic” reasons!

I didn’t realise it might look different in other themes: out if curiocity which theme are you currently using in CE?

I love CoreELEC, best OS for S912 so far, and I tested almost all available systems (OpenELEC, LibreELEC, Android custom roms, Neutrino etc.).

See my feedback below to your discussion…

• Stability, running 24/7 and no need to restart
  • Based on Linux, root as default
  • New versions (fixes) very often
  • Relevant community, support

Future improvement

• More fluent KODI UI i.e. 60fps / similar to PC
  • CoreELEC, new version released on defined period (i.e. every month / bi-weekly)
  • Map detail codec info as default (https://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo), instead of PlayerProcessInfo
  • ffmpeg installed as default
  • System info (KODI), if 8 cores are used (S912), usage of 4 CPUs are only visible (0-3), change formating to see all
  • extend installation wizard, keyboard layout, region format, timezone, subtitles coding, default video resolution
  • Update Linux version (i.e. Latest Linux version 4.17.15 vs. CoreELEC Linux version 3.14.29)
2 Likes

In regards to the Linux version, what you’re suggesting is going with mainline (or a more stable release), these don’t have the necessary support for Amlogic. It’s a work in progress right now (not by us) and will take a wile until it’s completed. We are planning to switch to mainline when it makes sense to do so.

1. You are able to achieve this by setting algorithmdirtyregions to 0 in advancedsettings.xml, CPU temperatures will increase whilst on the GUI though so you may need to look at additional cooling if this is an issue for you.
  2. I don’t think there has been more than 4 weeks between any of our releases to date, as a Team we did agree on releases every 2-4 weeks.
  3. This is something we could look at.
  4. Maybe put this request in feature requests so the whole Team can consider the request.
  5. Ditto point 3.
  6. This is something we do have tabled for the future but discussion on it is probably best placed in a separate thread.
1 Like

I love coreelec. Of course, I would like to try a version based on Krypton, since many add-ons are incompatible with leia. And the truth many changes that you have made in the kernel are very interesting.

Krypton is a step backwards and we are moving forward, you have LibreELEC if you want to go backwards :slight_smile:

I absolutely love that CoreELEC exists for my cheap chinese box. It’s a media player for my 4k HDR setup, and it does a fantastic job at it. Especially the last release, has been excellent in all playback aspects.

Secondly, this thing has become my home server thanks to thoradia addons and docker. I’ve connected a powered usb dock with 2 drive bays for storage. It’s running deluge, sonarr, radarr, jackett, pihole, netdata, openvpn access server and duckdns client. It absolutely boggles my mind that this little thing is able to everything. I’m out of country atm and my box is running stable with 9 days of uptime atm.

If i had one thing negative to say about it, it’s that the GUI isn’t too smooth. Disabling dirty regions and overclocking the gpu doesnt really seem to help much for me. The ui remains between 23-30 fps. I just hope one day AML releases some drivers which help improve graphics performance.

I referred to stability in previous post.
The below is from my Tanix Tx3 mini acting as my backend server for LiveTV and media sharing

CoreELEC:~ # uptime
00:47:30 up 12 days,  3:55,  load average: 1.78, 1.61, 1.60

It really is stable, and working away without a hitch. Doing so well in fact that I forgot to update it :slight_smile:

CoreELEC:~ # cat /etc/release
S905.arm-8.90.4

I guess I should do so soon, but I hesitate to change something that is working so well. :smiley:

On a personal note, it really annoy’s me when users choose to stay on old builds but there is an age old saying of don’t touch what isn’t broke.

70% of our users are on the latest build, with the other 30% on older or devel builds.

I don’t expect our latest version would be any less stable for you, the only issue for Tanix users is the WiFi but that’s not a discussion for this thread.

In truth I had really forgotten about updating that ‘server’ device.
I have a second similar device as a client machine which I use for testing purposes, which runs the current release and on which I have tested devel builds and Entware.

The ‘server’ device is depended upon by the rest of the family … TVs and mobile devices.
So I claim to be not as bad as I might have seemed :slight_smile:

I wish CoreELEC was a linux distro like Arch :slight_smile:
I would love to see Fluxbox or XFCE running on our devices

There’s an obvious thing to say about Coreelec. I didn’t follow all the ins and outs of what went on over at Libreelec, but I do feel that those of us owning amlogic devices would have been sort of left in the lurch if the Coreelec team had not taken the steps that they did take. Not that anybody owes us anything, but having jumped down the amlogic route, it’s good to feel that there is ongoing work that will keep us up to date.

2 Likes

New user here and I love the idea that AML folks are supported - still don’t get why the LE folks dumped it.

Biggest headache is perhaps the ease of finding stuff (even similar) stuff across the forum .

Our use of keywords could be better and maybe find a way to enforce keyword usage to help narrow down stuff on searches. I’ve been all over the place chasing stuff down… some of it red herrings .

Overall layout of the forum is good - does it have Tapatalk support ? I didn’t find it if it does.

And kudos to all the devs and others who support this.

Due to issues with the network card I haven’t yet got it fully up and working but I know it will get there…

I Love CoreElec! I have big respect for your work and time for this project.

The MP3/Music section is realy confused, but this is a Kodi thing or?
On PC i use Winamp ever :wink: i like it simple.

And the options section, is a bit to simple. i wont more information, over the functions.
Or give it a detailed FAQ over this?

Anytime Coreelec says new Update, im so happy :slight_smile:

Ahh i forget; im a stats junkie hehe. i miss the old Info on top running the screnn if you look a movie, it show´s info CPU usage, RAM, Audio, FPS, Codec etc. its gone?

Directory listings can take minutes in Kodi where ls is instant. Can we suppress statx for certain folders or something else to speed this up? I don’t really understand why raw file browsing is so slow.

There is a package manager: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/what-is-entware-and-how-to-install-uninstall-it/1149

CE doesn’t use remote.conf at all :thinking:

Hate:
Slow file-manager/whatever browsing. Its like Kodi wants to show the dumb animation which takes 1s even if the request takes 0.1ms
runs kodi as root, cant we please switch this to user kodi instead?
Lacks a package manager, ro /, cant we use pacman or apk or whatever?

Like:
DTS and audio passthrough, smooth video playback, Leia with games.

Like:

audio pass through, stability, snappy menus, stability, emulation, did i mention stability?

hate (hate is a bit strong IMO, more like minor irk)

no browser support, having to boot back to droid to use Chrome…

Lack of of reliable cross-platform archive support (many (but not all) movies scanned in to my shared MySQL library on windows / android device don’t work (file not found) in coreelec (i have vfs for archive and rar addons installed in coreelec - coreelec adds these movies a second time when i scan for new content / update library, the original library entry gives file not found and the new entry made by coreelec, some play, some don’t) similar applies in reverse - archive files added by coreelec are not recognized in win or droid.