Why should i use core elec for kodi over what my box offer

couldn’t find the right spot to post this

Best for me because it runs on Linux and I’m comfortable with that OS. Been using it off and on for decades. Most others run on Android and from my limited experience with that OS I don’t like it much, like a crippled version of Windows.

In general Google rates about the same as Microsoft in my book. Linux rates much higher. FreeBSD is my all time favorite OS and I would run it on my TV box if I could, though I would have to use Intel and not Amlogic. I like Amlogic a lot for its good bang for the buck value.

FreeBSD does have Kodi in its repository. Maybe set up an Intel SBC one of these days and try it, big project though. CoreELEC is fast and easy to get going.

HD audio passthrough and auto framerate switching

2 Likes

Well, that depends on what ‘your box’ offers.
In general I would say that if you intend to use only kodi and nothing else, use CE.
It’s fast, efficient and does not have all the Android overhead and other garbage.

If you intend to use other things besides kodi, consider using what it offers now (guessing thats Android).

Agree with this completely. The difference between CoreELEC and Android running Kodi is like night and day. The speed of the Kodi interface on Android is just horrible.

Kind of confirms my feelings about the Android OS in general. Objectively I don’t have enough experience with it to make an informed opinion, but the little I have has been underwhelming.

Don’t forget, you can always use a dual boot setup - with CoreELEC on sd card and Android on internal storage. That way you don’t lose anything.

Kodi on Android is just plain awful. No auto refresh rate switching - unless you jump through hoops to get it going - and even then it’s not reliable. Also Kodi runs a lot slower on Android.

CEC support on Android is a problem, no matter what TV do you have. On CE will most likely work, so you will have 1 remote control less.

For me, the best thing about CoreELEC is:

1.- It works very well in cheap and low consumption devices for a 24/7 operation.
2.- It offers a linux environment open to the development of utilities only limited by the experience and knowledge of the user.
3.- It offers the possibility of installing free linux servers of all kinds.
4.- It offers the installation of tvheadend as a free server for distribution of satellite TV channels for the whole house without the need for wiring, accessible even from anywhere in the world through VPN servers.
5.- It offers a samba server as storage in the cloud.
6.- It offers an SSH server that allows, through VPN, to monitor the operation even if we are many kilometers away.
7.- In local mode offers Kodi with all its advantages.

All this with Android is not possible: neither 24/7 operation, nor remote supervision, nor programming of utilities, nor free servers, nor TV server.

1 Like

Very little to add to the cubimol message.
8 - A nice support forum
9 - The advantage of having the same user interface on various devices
10 - The fact that it is very easy to return to the original interface.
When something does’nt work it is useful to try Android

Adding to Arthur above:

A joint addendum to 9/10 - Kodi is cross platform; when new hardware comes out, a Kodi backup can be moved and you’re up and running roughly the same setup on entirely different architecture/hardware.