Wifi Issues since

Hi All,
I run a M8S pro + on one of my TV’s and since the WIFI has been extremely unreliable.
I am running a EDUP USB Wifi Adfapter with a Realtek RTL8811AU Chipset.
Sometimes the WIFI works fine then all of a sudden fails.
Sometimes CE boots up and there is no Wifi. The connection showing Failure.
Disconnecting the EDUP Wifi and reconnecting will get it going again.

Another thing i have noticed is that when idle the connection stays up. It only happens when you are streaming (internet or via TVHeadend locally)

M8S.log (456.6 KB)
Debug Logs
Kodi Logs

Some time ago I saw that these devices malfunction if they start using two WiFi adapters simultaneously (internal + external), have you disconnected the internal WiFi adapter driver?

Ever since I have run corelec on this device the internal wifi has never worked (it did on libreelec). With the edup adapter disconnected wifi is not detected.
It was working fine when I was running 9.2.3

It’s not detected, means mainly that it does not have a driver for it, or is not recognized, not that it isn’t present. Whether detected or not, it’s better to disable it, for external driver to work better.

I think that if you disable internal WiFi, EDUP will work fine, since I have the same WiFi adapter (with same chipset) and had to disable internal WiFi on my MECOOL KM8 for it to work without problems.

Can you explain how to do this?
The only wlan i get is wlan 0 which is the EDUP Adapter

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: Mask:
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
RX packets:843 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:843 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:340256 (332.2 KiB) TX bytes:340256 (332.2 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E8:4E:06:65:87:22
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
RX packets:24990 errors:0 dropped:1714 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:14566 errors:0 dropped:19 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:21549032 (20.5 MiB) TX bytes:2286138 (2.1 MiB)

LibreELECMainBed:~ # lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
LibreELECMainBed:~ # lsmod |grep wifi
wifi_dummy 16384 0

The list of modules (drivers) loaded in a linux OS is obtained with the command ‘lsmod’.

You only need to find out the name of the module that handles the internal WiFi adapter and disable it.

In my H96Pro+ device the module is named ‘wlan’ and it can be disabled with the following line

blacklist wlan



OK SO i have added the following devices in my blacklist
blacklist bcmdhd (this comes up on the dmesg when starting up)
blacklist 9082xs (this is supposedly the module the M8S pro + uses)

Doing a lsmod none of the devices show up, just the rtl module for my edup.
I Still seem to be having the issue though, even though it seems to be less frequently.
Like i said before it used to run perfect.

Try an older build and see if it still runs perfect. It’s possible that your dongle went bad, or there are some new sources of interference that affect your connection. Or maybe something with the USB port on the box is bad, and the wifi dongle isn’t getting enough power. There are a lot of things that could be wrong. It’s unlikely that a CE version change is responsible for this.
I don’t recall any driver updates for that chipset.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.