X96 Air Versions - question

There are 3 versions of the X96 Air out in the wild.
1 has a 100M network and 2 have (or would appear to on some models) a 1000M network.

Of the 1000M versions, 1 has 32 GB of memory and the other has 64.

I’m presently running S905/S905X boxes off SD Cards and I’m generally happy enough with the performance.

1. Can someone explain why I’d want/need the larger memory version of the X96 other than “I can and it’s only a few bucks more”?

2. The box will be attached via HDMI to a receiver and the receiver to the TV. Can I use the bluetooth in the box to connect to a pair of BT earbuds and divert the audio to the earbuds / cancel the audio to the receiver?

Thanks.

Andrew

I run a x96 max+ with 32gb of internal. I use that for Android & run CE off of a 32gb sd card. I’d say 32 is enough.
I don’t have a sound bar, but do run bt headphones, although I found the internal bt was flaky so bought an external bt adapter.

I have the X96 Air 64GB one and it works well for CoreELEC in the internal memory, I am not interested in the android or microSD. For the small difference in money I think it is a better option.

In the beginning (early 2020 or so) there were indeed 100M and 1000M versions, a 100M ver with 2gb memory (16gb emmc) and 1000M versions with 4gb memory and various amounts of emmc. I bought one of the 4/32 devices and it works well after thermal mods (see separate thread).

However, at one stage all of the models advertised reverted to 100M regardless of 2 or 4gb versions. A quick check on BG revealed all units listed as 100M (regardless of 2/4) and on GB only one out of 5 listings mentioning 1000M.

Thus, careful when ordering if Gigabit Lan is important for you.

Ordered from China - claims to be 1000M and I bought the 64GB (aliexpress). I’m running S905/S905X devices presently that are 2/16 and 2/8 with 16 GB cards - and all of them run fine. The last box I ordered was in Jan 2017.

New box is going to be strapped to a sea turtle to make the voyage (very long/slow shipping claimed).

$51 delivered (eventually). Not sure what all the memory/storage is good for since I have a NAS, but I’ll have forgotten the price for the extra 32GB long before the box even gets here.

Any suggestions on size/make/model for the microSD card? Given that I’m used to using 16 GB cards, I don’t know what the ‘new normal’ is for the SD size. Again, I’m not putting any media on the microSD card.

Thanks.

Andrew

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.