X96 Max fix SPDIF

I stumbled on this thread, after the SPDIF connection from my X96 air (S905X3 4GB/64GB) started to have more and more problems playing to my receiver.

Initially plugging the toslink cable in/out started the playback, but this started to take more and more attempt. At the moment it almost stopped working. Sometimes I can get it to work again after numerous tries.

I blamed my 20 year old receiver. Decided to replace the poor thing, still same problem :roll_eyes:.
So I now assume I also have to solder a resistor to the board. 1.3K is hard to find, so I’m going with the advice from @joffa to use 2 x 2.7K in parallel.
Thanks to the picture of @jd17 I should be able to locate the right pins on the board.

Will post an update after my soldering attempt :grinning:

1 Like

This fixed the S/PDIF playback for my X96 air as well! I used 2 2.7K resistors in parallel.
I have not touched a soldering iron in 20 years. Still my attempt went reasonably well :grinning:

The measured resistance is 1.34 KΩ

2 Likes

Hello guys,
thank you for your advice! I have used one 1K resistor and one 330 Ohm resistor in series (what I found in my stock) and Toslink works like a magic on my brand new X96 Max Plus. See my soldering below. I have a question, can somebody tell me WHY this is necessary. I can assume that this is so kind of voltage divider but I wonder why is not implemented in the original HW. Do the Chinese amplifiers have different specs?

2 Likes

Works a treat! Thx

Put a 1.3k resistor as photo’s above

Now have the optical working.

Cheap fix.

Thank you.
Your fix/finding works fine also on dv8545 stb made by sdmc.
Used 1.3kohm/0,25W resistor.

KBmo50Ol

I have a question, can somebody tell me WHY this is necessary. I can assume that this is so kind of voltage divider but I wonder why is not implemented in the original HW. Do the Chinese amplifiers have different specs?

I don’t know. SPDIF works fine during first 6 months, then it suddenly stops.
My guess is that all chinese manufacturers use some reference design diagrams which are faulty. Because it affects also skyworth and sdmc boxes - don’t know about SEI Robotics ones, didn’t have one so far.