X96 Max Plus installation question

X96 Max Plus (4G RAM 64G ROM Android 9.0 S905X3).
I plan to install CE 9.2.5 in the X96 Max Plus.
Download Image: “CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-9.2.5-Generic.img.gz”

I noticed on that same download page, it also mentions:

Copy this DTB from the "Device_Trees" subfolder to the root of your SD card and rename it to "dtb.img".

“sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit” https://coreelec.org/dtb/

Question #1:
Is there a separate “dtb.img” file that I need to download and copy to the root of my SD card ?

Question #2:
If/when all this works, can I install CE 9.2.5 directly onto the internal eMMC drive, (instead of booting CE from the CD card),
overwriting the Android 9 that originally comes with it ? -and should I even try this?

sorry for noob questions here, but thanks ahead for any clearing up.

Hello,

You write the img to your SD card
You take the sm1_S905x3_4_1gbit file out of the “device tree” folder on your SD card and copy it to the root of your SD card
you than rename this file in to dtb.img (if you are using windows, make sure your explorer is showing known extentions)
than you are good to go. (use the tootphick methode while booting your box the first time)

I myself have never installed to internal eMMC memory, and I will not risk it eather, because this way my box always keeps working and I can start from scratch if anything goes wrong on the SD card, it it goes wrong on the internal memory I might brick my box.

But maybye someone who installes to internal memory can give any advantages ? (other than freeing up your SD slot and not needing a SD card)

Hans

1 Like

#1 yes, to COREELEC partition, named dtb.img

#2 How to use the Team CoreELEC ceemmc tool

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.