Your Android Box Lifespan?

Hi people
I am curious to know how long your Android AMLOGIC box has worked? From my side I notice that my boxes work 2/3 years then die. With a fan or not it’s the same and even keeping a temperature around 36/40 the box will start to sparkle or dysfunction after 2/3 years … and your ? (I use a strong USB Fan 8mm/4 inch)
Thanks for your words

I own three boxes so far. All still work. It’s been a Nexbox A95X B7N 1/8G since summer 2018. This is my travel companion. One Z69 3/32G since December 2018. The latter was my daily driver for 18 months. It’s now sitting in a box. Both boxes had a S905x chip. It was replaced in May 2020 with a next generation Y8 max 4/64/1Gbit with S905x³ chip.

All boxes work with the stock PSU on an wireless socket. I always use on demand governor, so no external fan is necessary. I don’t even need to drill holes in the boxes to better the airflow.

Temperature ranges from 45°C/115°F with Kodi Estuary doing nothing. 57°C/134°F playing 1080p hevc content. And up to 70°C/160°F when scanning content into library.

Yes I have 3 box too but the two other stay unused brand new in my basement I use it only sometimes…

Well I speak about the box I have used 8 hours each day my kid and me and this one with big fan to keep temp under 40° die after 2/3 years use … its the 2nd I replace. not totally died but flickering or some black screen frames every minutes or so thats mean transistor/chip died

Buy better boxes, my odroid c4 has been on permanently for years, i have a beelink mx must be well over 5 years old now acting as a backup and emby server running coreelec 24/7.

1 Like

CEC wake up the box in same time as TV but not sure its a good thing because often on/off are a stress component … may be better to let it on permanently 24/24h I don’t know ?

Tanix Tx3 mini bought Nov. 2017
Used for a time at TV, but later moved to do server duty for Live TV.
It is on 24/7

Only failure is the display has lost segments.

Lol

thanks

Anyway when I see this boxes price on AliExpress I think that its better to pay 30$ and replace frequently than to buy a device more expensive which we will not sure about lifespan.

This is the same problem with laptop and all device … Top line may will work longer than cheapest but in the end its not worth it to pay more

There are some used ODROID N2 boxes for ~$50 used on ebay at the moment, if you are in the US.

Yes S922X is powerful… but I use my box for streaming movies from my laptop and some IPTV so its useless for me …

So a powerful box can’t be used for streaming movies and IPTV? :thinking:

Yes you can, but its like Ferrari GT on 30 kmh road limited…

If both cars cost about the same, where is the downside of using the nicer one?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.