4K video picture dark

I have Coreelec install on Odroid N2+ which are working very well but when I play a 4K or 4K HDR video the picture looks a little bit of dark and it is not near to any 4k videos I play on youtube ( Android Tv ) where the picture is so clean and clear.I have a Sony Android TV which supported 4k HDR video.Can someone help.

@glakhbir Firstly Welcome.

There were some notes I read online about issues with Sony 4K TV’s that I managed to find again. Sony say that in the TV If Picture mode is set to Cinema or Custom, the screen may become dark. If the screen is still dark after you change the picture quality mode, change the setting Backlight, Picture, Brightness and adjust the brightness to your taste

There is also a walkthrough for optimal 4K CoreELEC settings Here

Try most of the setting but still the same and will keep searching till got the best result. Thank you for your help.

@glakhbir Okay well that’s the basics covered. You may want to double check your HDMI cable as not all are created equal and can affect the signal. There is a good plain English explanation here as to the
4 HDMI standards

• Standard HDMI: Up to 720p or 1080i resolution at a 30Hz refresh rate
  • High Speed HDMI: Up to 4K resolution (including 1080p) at 30Hz
  • Premium High Speed HDMI: Up to 4K resolution with high dynamic range (HDR) at up to 60Hz
  • Ultra High Speed HDMI: Up to 10K resolution with HDR at a 120Hz refresh rate (4K video can refresh at up to 240Hz)

I doubt very much you still have the packaging the HDMI came in but if you have another cable in the house it may be worth running a test with it or just buying a new one that’s certified for 4K which are not expensive and the ones from Amazon get extremely good reviews for the price.

Finally and this is a long shot, there is a glitch in the Sony firmware where if you have auto updates enabled but haven’t agreed to the Sony privacy policy it wont update even though it should.

Will buy a new premium high speed HDMI cable to try it out. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.