8.95.0 9082xs No Wifi

Nothing has changed in the kernel or the drivers, the only thing which has changed is the toolchain used to compile them.

Can you type lsmod and paste the output so we can see what kernel modules are loaded.

Module Size Used by
8021q 19039 0
9082xs 775946 0
cfg80211 374882 1 9082xs
mali 192465 5
ir_lirc_codec 4996 0
wifi_dummy 806 0
lirc_dev 11232 1 ir_lirc_codec
ir_mce_kbd_decoder 4796 0
ir_sanyo_decoder 2899 0
ir_sony_decoder 2417 0
ir_jvc_decoder 2511 0
ir_rc6_decoder 3423 0
ir_rc5_decoder 2439 0
ir_nec_decoder 3367 0
meson_ir 4021 0
rc_core 17268 11 lirc_dev,meson_ir,ir_lirc_codec,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,ir_sony_decoder,ir_mce_kbd_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_sanyo_decoder
amlvideodri 12066 0
videobuf_res 5322 1 amlvideodri
videobuf_core 16549 2 amlvideodri,videobuf_res
videodev 131761 1 amlvideodri
dwc_otg 233217 0
fbcon 38031 0
bitblit 4468 1 fbcon
softcursor 1168 1 bitblit
font 7327 1 fbcon
CoreELEC:~ #

Tanix Tx3 mini-A 2G

I cannot seem to enable the internal wifi at all, even with wired deactivated and cable unplugged.

Yet, if I plug in a USB wifi dongle all is good.(mt7601u)
I can use both wired and wireless at the one time (thank you).

It is behaving as if the internal wireless NIC is disabled.

This is just a ‘head’s up’ in case it is not exclusive to my box.
I am happy enough to use the USB dongle so not asking for help.

It seem’s this is isolated to boxes with the 9082xs wireless chipset which is the fake Realtek clone one that we don’t have the source for.

CoreELEC:~ # lsmod | grep 908
9082xs      775946  0
cfg80211    374882  1   9082xs

Did this not work on previous releases?
Any suggestions to test?

Other than emailing the manufacturer and asking them to recompile the driver against our latest kernel source there is not a great deal we can do about it as they are unwilling to share the source for it.

This chipset will probably never be able to be supported in mainline either.

Since you own a box that has this chipset, why not put an earlier release onto SD / USB and see if / when it got broken :wink:

That thread doesn’t list any device with a 9082xs chipset so no real surprise it’s not 100% working :thinking:

[Removed (pointless comment)]

Last I recall it was reported as working in LE 8.2.?? something.

On a 9082xs device? Where?

This appears to be what I recall …
[S905X] Unknown WLAN chip

Ahh different forum. Yeah I think there may be more differences emerge between LE and CE as time goes by. They’ve split for a reason and, consequently, we’re bound to see differences in the two different directions as time goes by.

Has the file/s in question in that link been tried or in use in CE?

Maybe an updated build for CE might be forthcoming from the same source?

It may well be, I can’t suggest anything else since I dont have a box with that WiFi chip (hence the suggestion to roll it back and find out if it ever did work).
It’s not obvious to the end user but the devs here are constantly monitoring the advances in other builds, in their efforts to keep everyone happy. Judging by Adam’s earlier reply, I think your solution to use a USB WiFI device may be the solution to this issue

The Mecool M8S Pro+ is in that list and have the 9082xs chipset, i was reading that Kszaq already said the driver would no longer be supported in newer versions of the kernel but wrtaxy is releasing new krypton builds (No changes to the original Kernel?) and there it works just like in the old Kszaq builds. At least now we know why it doesn’t work on CoreELEC, whoever wants wifi just has to buy a cheap adapter.

Given the unavailability of the source code and the certainty of updated kernels in the future, there is not much point in asking for a specific kernel build to be made available it seems.

1 Like

The Mecool M8S Pro+ in that list is sporting the S905X chip. Not sure where you’re seeing 9082xs.

:point_down: Ah! OK

9082xs is the designation of the Wi-Fi chip not the SoC.

Are you kidding me? What do you think we have been using since the start of these releases.

[Removed (read)]

Modules for 9082xs wifi driver are available on wrxtasy repository for Mecool M8S Pro+:

http://wrxtasy.libreelec.tv/MECOOL/