Amlogic-ne, New Era

It was never “perhaps”. Whole code will be public when we stabilize last bits of pieces.

It is just a name with 2 letters like ng. Or you can read it as “new era of problems with new linux kernel”.

And yes, we are still using blobs. I think this will not change in near future. Because only this allows to actually use the SoC fully.

1 Like

CoreELEC is a free open source project and anyone who wants the code will get it. Of course this only applies to the GPL parts of code. We also ship firmware and other non-free parts that we can’t share.
Of course if someone wants the code they can get a tarball of the GPL parts they are interested in as required by law.
The git will be made public once no rebases are required anymore. We did the same with CE19 NG: "Next Generation " btw.
We are working on the code for almost 8 months now and it has been private the whole time. We have made some test builds for the community because they became impatient.
So I guess we should not have published builds yet.

1 Like

This is not explicity true when the source code for ceemmc, libamcodec and inject_bl301 are not made publically available and only closed source prebuilt binaries are provided.

Now the source code for your 5.4 kernel has also been kept behind lock and key, this is a sad state of affairs to see the direction that the CoreELEC OS is headed in when it does not honour or respect the GPL license that it is released under.

You may want to be more open with the community as to the real reasons behind this.

1 Like

You are not right, like for these tools the license is not GPL:

Like this ceemmc is done by CE devs so we own the right on the sources and it’s not licensed under GPL. If you do not agree how we handle the development process than please delete all CE related items on your local devices. We do not need to release any item at all. I think we will remove the public test files as well. It’s best for now.

Anyway, this discuss about open source or not goes no-where and just take us off from real working time.

Closed for now until new information will be available.

3 Likes

Yes I agree we will remove the builds until the code is stabilized and everything lands in GitHub. Then builds will be uploaded.

1 Like

Amlogic-ne is now public available, please search here for last nightly builds. It’s not yet 100% finished but not in bad shape.

Sources are available at GitHub as well…

Happy holidays and a happy new Year in name of Team CoreELEC!

https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_dev_cycle

15 Likes

Merry Christmas, Happy holidays and a Happy New year for all and specialy to coreelec team how make just awesome work :gift::gift::gift::gift:

1 Like

Thanks, I wish you happy Christmas and happy birthday to CE team and everyone

1 Like

Just to confirm: This will not work with Odroid N2+ (yet) ?

No, it is not for this device.

1 Like

That was fixed a bunch of builds ago.

I am running it on a s905x4 and s905w2. The performance is just amazing. I was wondering if I could install it to internal memory (ceemmc -x) without problems?

1 Like

i see that for s905x4 it haven’t working yet. I talked about internal memory

The s905x4 version definitely works. I just tried it.
After writing the SD card image, copying the dtb.img, it booted fine. WiFi is not recognized.
Then I restored the backup I made today of the CE 19 nightly build I had been using.

Entware installs without any problem, but when I install zerotier from it and then try to add a network I find the following error:

zerotier-cli: missing port and zerotier-one.port not found in /opt/var/lib/zerotier-one

Test BuzzTv x5. Freezing, the remote control was not found via bluetooth, it can’t remember the language and after a while the interface was in English. I didn’t even do other tests.

I use Buzztv every day and it works just fine. In ne, there’s a problem with Bluetooth so I use an IR config file for the remote. In ng, the bluetooth is fine and working normally. No freezing in any of the versions, at least on my device.

1 Like