Amlogic-ne, New Era

i don’t understand why the recommended cpu for coreelec two years ago is on the verge of dropping support (i mean the s922x) should we change devices every two years just to get on the train with the new coreelec new kernel? i know the s922 is the most capable of cpus still and i don’t understand why the support for it can be dropped.

2 Likes

It’s early to say and I can assure that it’s not by choice. There’s no path right now for it to be supported but that can change. I can assure that most, if not all, members of CE team would be extremely happy.

3 Likes

Vim4 can’t do DV

And to add what is already said. I am happy to add DV if a) we are legally allowed to and b) we get the module from Amlogic for their kernel. If a and b are agreed upon we can add DV and keep it safe and secure as it’s supposed to be in the AML ecosystem.

2 Likes

It will be supported for next 2 years (Kodi Nexus). After that who will know what happens.

I think no one understands how much work is behind the development. Because this project is not commercial one everything is done in spare time. And this time is just limited. And to support everything from the past is just not possible.

4 Likes

It is also not up to us. Amlogic dropped support.
Honestly me personally would like to support it but it would mean a lot of work and I don’t have the time currently to make it happen.

1 Like

H96Max X4 with S905x4 boots and works good.

Thanks guys. I wanted to know if the disable gui scaling option was still valid for the vim 4? With that option turned on I get a distorted image if I open the gui while playing a video.

Hello, could you tell me what benefits this version will bring? Will the system be faster, a more beautiful image or what will it be better at?

This behavior is unchanged, yes. Best is to keep GUI scaling disabled.

It’s not about “improvement”, “speed” or to be more lined up with “mainline”. It’s about the support of new hardware what can not be done by the “old” system.

Sure, all new hardware should bring benefits over the old one. Otherwise it would be useless, isn’t it?

It’s all like the others said already, it’s a reason of time. Everything is doable, but who want to do it?
Remember CoreELEC is only a Hobby, not a business.

And Amlogic do sell such “complete sets”. This include eval board + software. And as every business they want to sell their new stuff, not the old one.
So there is no need for them to bring old platforms to new software. The old platforms will and should stay with old software. EOL is not dropping it, it’s just not updated anymore.

Noob Question: In the first post Boards S4, T7 & SC2 are mentioned. What are these different boards?

1 Like

Maybe “Board” is not the right word, better wording “SOC Family” or “SOC Platform”…

Please disregard what I told you. I totally misunderstood and gave you the wrong information. Thank you for pointing out an error. That should read family. It’s corrected now.

Hello!
After the booting issue has been resolved, there is a new issue: The device reboots randomly and it seems like the Kodi crashed repeatedly. Please see attached files for details.
BTW: I am using the device in headless mode(there are no TVs or monitors connected).
Thank you!

syslog.txt (72.4 KB)

kodi-logs.zip (50.6 KB)

Kodi want to create a window where no window does exist. This is a kodi issue.
Why to use a media center headless?

Anyway, disable kodi and it should work: systemctl mask kodi and reboot

Thanks, Portisch
Having Kodi disabled solves my problem!

//Why to use a media center headless?
Frankly speaking, I think A311D2-T7 is a very powerful singleboard microcomputer. It is a suitable Linux server with low-power consumption. It is better than Raspberry-Pi in my opinion.

Which version is suitable for buzztv x5?

Good work.

Will test it soon on vim4 and gtking2