Amlogic S905X3, S905Y3, S905D3 thread

That seems to be good news :slight_smile:
Is there a possibility that this kernel will be used for all amlogic devices or is this decision limited to the S905X/Y/D3 devices?

It should work with all devices that “Amlogic-ng” works on.

My Odroid N2 likes that :smiley:
Last question regarding that topic: any timeline for a version with that mentioned amlogic android kernel?
Thank you for your patience!

No ETA yet, but it won’t be very long.
With that said, I don’t think there will be much difference for S922X devices.

1 Like

And which kernel version is that ?

1 Like

Its 4.9.113 which is slightly older than our current 4.9.190 but it’s based on the very latest Amlogic src with the last commit being just over a week old vs the current which is based on code from April.

We wanted to remain as close to the stock Amlogic kernel without deviating from it and only applying code that is absolutely necessary for CoreELEC operation.

Our current kernel is based on the Hardkernel kernel and it is just as a mess, it’s difficult to update and it’s even more difficult for us to see the changes we have made due to constant kernel changes by the HK team.

With our new kernel we can keep it up to date with the latest Amlogic code easier than any other kernel that has been previously used (incl. 3.14).

We went back to the drawing board and started from scratch all over again and the new kernel is already proving to be much much better, there is now content that is playable that wasn’t playable before and the 4K GUI corruption is now gone.

The video decoding method has completely changed from using a single decoder to using a multi decoder for various formats.

It will arrive in nightlies after the next stable is out as we don’t want to mucky the stable release up with the experimental kernel.

4 Likes

Tnx, looking forward to it. Hope it will keep all good options that present kernel has…

Thanks for keeping us informed about what’s going on behind the curtain :slight_smile:
Do you think with the new Kernel there are better chances (if there was any before) to replace the 3.14 for the ‘old’ S905/S912 devices, to unify CE development?

I wish it was that easy, we are reluctant to touch anything to do with the 3.14 devices because they just ‘work’, it would certainly improve our work flow.

I believe @cdu13a had some success running some older devices on 4.9 so he would be the best person to talk about this, the rest of us are focused on newer hardware.

We are aiming for feature parity. The most important things are already working.

• HDR10, HDR10+ is still HDR10 only at this point
  • HD audio passthrough + LPCM 7.1
  • Automatic color depth and color space switching
  • Video playback should work much better now
1 Like

I was going to do a public test build of Amlogic-NG for the S905/S912 devices. However decided to hold off on doing so until this new kernel gets ready for public use, since there is no point doing it with the current 4.9 kernel to just have to start over again with the new one.

3 Likes

Since the new kernel is based on the Android kernel can it play high resolution LPCM audio without down sampling or dithering?

Also for N2 does this new kernel has the USB3 patch from HK?

Read two posts up.

I’m talking about audio like 24/96 FLAC 5.1 (not DTS-HD MA or TrueHD passthrough). I wonder can the new kernel output such resolution as is in LPCM without down sample or dithering. Because on Android based OS this can happen.

I don’t know. The stock Android 4.9 kernel didn’t even support LPCM at all, now it does.
In regards to whether it’s downsampled or not, I don’t know. It will work the same way as it does right now in our -ng builds.

Glad to hear that. I think thats wise as I can confirm, that C2 on 3.14 is rock solid with HTPC features working 100%. And backporting SW to older HW could be dodgy sometimes. (not saying I am against one code for all devices, but understand possible pain with that one).

Crossfinger with the new kernel development, it looks very promising even with less effort needed for maintanance, but I now that real life is usual complicated than initial thoughts. Wish the best to the future work guys!

So, for now there’s no coreElec build witch works with S905X3, right?

Hello dev. Can test coreelec for 905x3 no problem. All work is great. Thanks

There is, but only for Khadas VIM3L at this time.

1 Like

Where link? Thank